No Spring Football at Beechwood or St. Xavier?

gchs_uk9

ST. X will get an extension due to the coaching search, if they want to do it. Thats what has happened to schools in the past.

I was wondering if that might be the case. Doesn't relate to Beechwood, but they are pretty small. Do they normally have spring practice?

I've never heard of the extension before. The AD submits the paperwork & if its not sent in, I haven't seen them budge in the past. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I can remember not having a coach & having to submit the paperwork & just deal with it after the hire.

ST. X will get an extension due to the coaching search, if they want to do it. Thats what has happened to schools in the past.

Beechwood does not do it. Too many kids play baseball and run track and they just don’t have enough. Off season weights and conditiong are in full swing and then as it gets warmer they will get out and do some football stuff. They also start summer ball much earlier than a lot of schools.

Beechwood does not do it. Too many kids play baseball and run track and they just don’t have enough. Off season weights and conditiong are in full swing and then as it gets warmer they will get out and do some football stuff. They also start summer ball much earlier than a lot of schools.

I thought that might be the case. While Beechwood's football program is always strong, they have a lot of kids with irons in a lot of other fires. The numbers would be pretty limited in the spring.

Is spring practice just a window for full contact? Because I've known of people who have their off season stuff after school, and they'll pretty often do a lot of football specific things, just without the contact.

Spring practice is a 15 day window to get 10 practices in. They are full contact (as long as a kid has acclimated through off-season workouts, or playing another sport).

The way the rules are written now, coaches can work with kids pretty much anytime without equipment, so I think the idea of spring practice is something that will dwindle away. I know there's not a lot of value in a fraction of your kids coming to spring practice and the ones that are there may be practicing out of position in order to get anything accomplished.

The offseason workouts with groups of certain positions is probably just as valuable.

Is spring practice just a window for full contact? Because I've known of people who have their off season stuff after school, and they'll pretty often do a lot of football specific things, just without the contact.

Just so no one takes my comments out of context, I am in 100% favor of having spring football, and think it is a great thing for those that can and will do Spring Football. I want them to be able to continue to do that, and those that don't to have that availability to do so if they choose. I was just stating I wish there was an option B if you really can't do spring football. Things that other states do, like give time in June to go full gear or allowing full gear 10 days earlier than the current Aug 1 if you have your days in from July 10.

I just wish they would let teams have a spring game / scrimmage vs another team.

Exactly. I think many schools, and the state as a whole, are missing out on a lot of potential with Spring Practice. I have made this argument before, but Florida does spring practice in conjunction with an official update and then holds multiple teams scrimmaging each other at one site and allows the officials to apply things they learned from the official clinic. These locations are held all over the state and allows the officials to get practice, and allows the teams to get a spring game in.