Covington Catholic vs. Madison Central predictions

Who wins?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Covington Catholic
    • Madison Central

Friday at Madison Central.

The Indians are 22-6 and are ranked #5. They're undefeated at home...including a win over #2 Trinity back on Jan 26th. They also have 6'7" junior Isaiah Cozart, who took ownership of the KHSAA's single season record for blocks, and is currently 36 blocks shy of overtaking the career blocks record set by JR VanHoose of Paintsville back in 1998.

The Colonels are 25-4 and are ranked #3. They're also undefeated at home, but they will be 100 miles from Park Hills on Friday evening. The Colonels are currently on a 13 game win streak, with lights-out performances out of CJ Fredrick in recent weeks. The addition of brothers AJ and Michael Mayer to the lineup have come as a strong benefit to Cov Cath as well.

Should be a great evening of basketball in Richmond on Friday.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The place should most defiantly be rocking, as the student section will be out in full force. Senior night is always a tough night and this year it makes it harder by bringing in such a tough opponent. (Feldhaus is never one to shy away that is for sure). I know the guys are looking forward to this game a lot. Central has 6 seniors (my son is one of them) and it will be a raucous, completive, and fun environment to send them off in style.

As for the game, I really am undecided right know, obviously my heart is with Central, but CCH is the real deal and could defiantly come in and steal the win. I think the biggest adjustment that CCH will face, and the thing that will give them the most trouble is the team speed of Central on the defensive end. I know they have some great shooters, but those shooters will not get many clean looks and when they don't have the ball, they will be seeing faced up denial type "D" to get the ball. Cozart will be a factor on the defensive end, he always is, but what makes him most effective is the perimeter "D" that funnels the players to him and puts him in a position to do his thing. I believe he had 8-9 blocks last year at CCH, so I am sure he will patrol the paint as he usually does.

On the offense end we need to keep the scoring droughts to a minimum, and we need to take care of the ball. Isaiah Minter is playing some of his best ball and is one of the best PG in the state, his name just isn't out there with the others. He has been shooting the deep ball very well, and there are few people that can stay in front of him when he takes it to the basket. How he plays, and staying out of foul trouble will dictate Centrals outcome. The other big piece is Dustin Gerald, he too is not well known, but is a really good ball player. He needs to make quick decisions on his pass, shot reads and play big underneath.

If I have to pick, and that's the whole point of the thread....so I do. I will take Central in a close one by 3.

It's a big time game and let's hope the big time players show up. I can't wait for Friday night. Any BGP'ers in the house let me know....I will be there.

They scheduled CovCath for Senior Night? The disrespect is real...

Not sure I see your point......I don't see it as disrespect, just the opposite. Feldhuas always puts together one of the toughest out of regions schedules in the state and figures, Sr. night or not, his team is going to play the best. I think it is a great way to go out as a senior, as opposed to bringing in somebody that they would drum by 40. Just my opinion though.

Having not seen Central play this year and only going of the comments on BGP, sounds like the speed of their defense could be a key factor in the game. When CCH plays Cooper, it is the speed of AK on the defensive end that gives CCH the most trouble. CCH has done a much better job against the press in recent weeks but that might be tested a little more with the speed of Central.

Looking forward to the game and will be making the drive down. In a close game, I got to go with CCH by 4. AJ rounding into form and CJ playing too well to go against the Colonels.

Having not seen Central play this year and only going of the comments on BGP, sounds like the speed of their defense could be a key factor in the game. When CCH plays Cooper, it is the speed of AK on the defensive end that gives CCH the most trouble. CCH has done a much better job against the press in recent weeks but that might be tested a little more with the speed of Central.

Looking forward to the game and will be making the drive down. In a close game, I got to go with CCH by 4. AJ rounding into form and CJ playing too well to go against the Colonels.

Central doesn't press a lot, other then maybe token pressure. They pick up high on the half court. My guess is, that Isaiah Minter will guard CJ, CJ will have the height advantage, but not many quicker then Minter, and he is a relentless on ball defender.

This game takes place a couple blocks from my former homeplace. I may have to journey up to my old stomping grounds to see this one. These two teams may be playing the best ball of anyone right now. Should be a slobberknocker! I'm rooting for the Tribe but I'd probably take CC if I was a betting man.

Nice word... very descriptive. :thumb: :banana: