Covington Catholic 84 Simon Kenton 59

Fun game to watch, and closer than the final score.

CJ has an unbelievable all-around game, he is so much fun to watch.

The Niece kid for SK is REALLY GOOD, and he shoots the eyes out of the ball. He is going to be fun to watch develop.

Niece just upped his avg which was at 16ppg. Not too shabby for a freshman.

CJ is really turning it on down the stretch.

First time watching Cov Cath, nice team, loved the way they moved the ball. So many times it was obvious they have a great feel for one another. Two steps ahead of the defense at times. I would love to know the amount of points they scored off of bunnies, it was a bunch.

Kelly Niece, love the kid's game, IQ and his resolve. For a freshman playing against one of the best in the state he didn't flinch. Simon has to get more from Kelch, he struggled tonight, never seemed to get into a groove. He did have one heck of a flick shot prior to hitting the deck.

Game was a lot closer than the final score indicated.

SK was hurt by two stretches in the game. Late first quarter into early second quarter when they had a couple of turnovers in succession that led to transition baskets to allow CCH to get up double figures.

Then late third when they had a couple more turnovers and a blocked shot or two that took a 7 point game out to about 15.

On defense CCH just mauls you. You have to be strong with the basketball and strong away from the ball while trying to get movement. Freedom of movement is limited versus CCH. If refs call it loose, then CCH has a real advantage. Fredrick was able to tail Niece and was allowed to keep two hands on him at times while tailing through screens. The Mayer boys are loads particularly the younger one. Just flat out strong.

Fredrick looks like the POY in the 9th. Oozes confidence and plays really hard. Ruthsatz has improved as much as any player in the area from their sophomore year to their senior year, in quite some time. Really like his game and doesn't get too high or too low.

CCH just punishes you off of quick change. Turn it over and they are making quick buckets. Blocked shot or rushed drives, they are sprinting the other way.

SK played hard and for the most part matched CCH's physicality. They didn't back down and attacked the basket and didn't seem that intimidated by the size in the post that CCH possesses. The Niece kid is going to one to really watch and develop over his time at SK.

I surprised by the attendance tonight, I didn't get their until about 10 minutes til tip and there were plenty of seats available. I figured that senior night for this crew and a solid opponent with good fan support would have the place near capacity. Pretty far from it.

SK if they continue to their upward tick will have a shot in the 8th Region.

I surprised by the attendance tonight, I didn't get their until about 10 minutes til tip and there were plenty of seats available. I figured that senior night for this crew and a solid opponent with good fan support would have the place near capacity. Pretty far from it.

CovCath had senior night activities last week against Dixie.

I thought it was interesting something I’ve never seen before. Right before the 6:00 mark before the game, all 3 refs left the gym to the lobby, Cov Cath came out and rattled the rims for almost exactly 1 minute. At 5:00 they stopped and the refs came back in.

While it was a decent game and the SK frosh is the real deal, I find it ironic that everyone states it was "closer than final score". It was never closer than 12 points since a few minutes left in the 3rd and was never less than 15 in the 4th Q.

A good game and somewhat close (under 10 points) early in the 3rd, but the outcome was never close to being in doubt.

Look forward to seeing SK advance thru regionals.

While it was a decent game and the SK frosh is the real deal, I find it ironic that everyone states it was "closer than final score". It was never closer than 12 points since a few minutes left in the 3rd and was never less than 15 in the 4th Q.

A good game and somewhat close (under 10 points) early in the 3rd, but the outcome was never close to being in doubt.

Look forward to seeing SK advance thru regionals.

It was 7 at one point. 49-42 if I recall.