Largest Drop in Attendance in 34 Years

swamprat

Last year was the worst drop since 1983. Attendance has dropped over 10% since 2008. Student attendance is down more. Universities are looking at reducing stadium sizes to increase ticket value. Even at Michigan and Alabama, student attendance has dropped dramatically. Alumni and casual fans would rather stay at home or just come to the game and tailgate.

As for TV viewership, that is down 10% from 2016. 20% over the last 3 seasons alone. More and more of those staying home are finding other things to do with their Saturdays.

When the powers that be devalue bowl games and systematically cut out more than half of the FBS schools from competing for a championship, the students, alumni, and fans of those left out will lose interest in the sport. Combine that with the reduction of participation at the lower levels of football due to concerns over CTEs (youth football participation down over 33%) and college football is heading in the wrong direction.

College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years - CBSSports.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the larger schools are going with the dynamic pricing and they aren't getting any cheaper. You are seeing the same thing in basketball.

Not sure how wifi is at most venues, but college kids and young adults are on their phones and have to stay connected. Shoddy wifi creates issues. Kids can go hang and tailgate and enjoy a great day without ever going in.

Wifi is awful at Kroger Field and getting a consistent signal is difficult.

I read an article about attendance issues at Nebraska football games. I believe it was written during the 2016 season. Once upon a time Lincoln, NB was the largest city in the state on game days. Now attendance is slipping and season ticket sales are down, much like the rest of sports.

Ticket prices for one are the main reason, tailgating is way more fun than baking in the sun for mediocre football, not selling alcohol (like or not) at games is a big factor, also driving hours one way and going home the night of is huge factor as well. I've been to two UK games, the first one I went in and it was ok. The second one I decided I'm just going to tail gate and listen on the radio,way more fun.

I live 5 minutes from U of Cincinnati, you can buy beer at the venue but mediocre football vs mediocre competition isnt enough for me to waste a beautiful Saturday in the fall stuck at Nippert, when I could listen to the game while working in the yard enjoying some cold ones.

Going to games when you know your team has zero chance to play for a national championship before the seeason (even if they go undefeated, see UCF) starts is extremely demoralizing.

Drop ticket prices...technology has passed the game experience. College football interest is high. There are just more viewing options to see and enjoy it. College football playoff ratings were up from last season.

But I see where you were trying to go with this.....continue your fight for the little guy.

I will say I've always thought going to the stadium just to tailgate and then leave is one of the dumbest things ever. Why would you not go to the game if you're already there?

I've never gone to a game and not gone inside, but I can see the appeal. Last UK game I went to me and my friends didn't have a parking pass or very good spot to tailgate so we were just going to walk around the parking lots and hang out as best we could.

Ended up talking to a guy who invited us to join his party. He had about 3 grills full of all kinds of food, kegs of beer, and direct tv with 3 big screens all showing different games. It was tempting just to stay out there when the game started. I had more fun tailgating than I did at the actual game.

I guess I prefer to watch on tv more often than actually attend due to the fact that you can actually see the game better from tv, plus it's easier to keep of with other games as usually more than one is of interest to me at any given time. I've never been to a stadium or arena in which the wifi was even decent.

Comfort is another factor. One of the worst stadium experiences I've had was at Notre Dame. The wood bleachers are terrible and the seats are marked off to fit four year olds. We had three people no show for our row and it still miserable trying to wedge into the area that was your seat.

I loved everything about the game day experience at Notre Dame except for the actual game itself. Pretty sure if I ever go back, I'll just tailgate and then find somewhere on campus to watch the game on tv.

The game experience at this point is more of a novelty. Football fans get a more in depth perspective of what's going on in the game by watching the many different angles you get from the tv. Along with the announcers you get a 360 degree view of each play, in the comfort of you own home with cheaper beverages. Again, no research is saying that interest is down just attendance.

Comfort is another factor. One of the worst stadium experiences I've had was at Notre Dame. The wood bleachers are terrible and the seats are marked off to fit four year olds. We had three people no show for our row and it still miserable trying to wedge into the area that was your seat.

I loved everything about the game day experience at Notre Dame except for the actual game itself. Pretty sure if I ever go back, I'll just tailgate and then find somewhere on campus to watch the game on tv.

Notre Dame was BY FAR the worst game experience I've ever had. :lol2: I get the history and nostalgia, but that place is a dump. Give me my jumbotrons, chair back seats and modern bathrooms over that place any day.

Notre Dame was BY FAR the worst game experience I've ever had. :lol2: I get the history and nostalgia, but that place is a dump. Give me my jumbotrons, chair back seats and modern bathrooms over that place any day.

They just added jumbotrons this past year for the record. Haha