BluegrassPrep.com Weekly Review 6th Region (2/13/2018)

One week to go and the real fun begins in post season when a ranking will not matter because only one team will be left heading to Rupp. This past week produced a couple of key games that determined the rankings shift ever so slightly. Here is the rankings heading into the final games left from the regular season

1. Butler (24-2): Butler took care of Doss to earn the #1 seed in district play last week and for good measure they also beat Fairdale and John Hardin. That was a great week and they have proven without a doubt they are the #1 ranked team in the 6th region. They finish with Southern and JTown so they will enter post season with a glossy 26-2 record.

2. Doss (19-6): The Dragons did lose to Butler in a great game, but they also beat PRP & Collins to finish the week strong. Doss will be the 2nd seed in districts, but they are looking for the rematch with Butler to prove they are the best team in the region. Not much separates these two teams who stand atop the rankings. Doss finishes the regular season against Valley.

3. Fern Creek (20-6): For now Fern Creek looks a little behind the top 2, but they are not far behind. The loss to St. Xavier was concerning as they looked like they had turned the tide after a rough patch in January. A good game with Fairdale ends the regular season for both on Friday night. The winner of that game will be right behind Butler and Doss as the favorites entering post season play.

4. Fairdale (19-8): Fairdale went 2-1 last week, beating Valley to win the #1 seed in the district tourney but lost to Butler in a close game or they could have vaulted into the top 3. They have clearly made a mark and are now a very real threat in the region. A great finish for Fairdale lies ahead as they play Fern Creek on Friday.

5. Valley (18-8): The Vikings may have lost the #1 seed to Fairdale, but not much separates the two teams in the tough 21st district. Valley was up 24 heading into the final period and ended up losing in OT on a last second shot. Valley ends the season against Doss on Friday. With the loss to Fairdale they must take on PRP in a big district semi final game to determine who advances and whose season ends once district play begins.

6. Pleasure Ridge Park (16-10): The Panthers lost to Doss last week in a close game and made a statement that they should not be counted out once post season begins. They finish the season with Moore and North Bullitt so they should end up with a bit of momentum as they face Valley.

7. Iroquois (16-10): Iroquois plays in a very tough district, one of the best in the state. Despite coming in 4th, don't count them out. They play Valley in the last week of the season and everyone should keep a close watch on that outcome as it should be a great game.

8. Bullitt East (15-13): Bullitt East had a good week with only a close loss to Fairdale stopping them from being on a 5 game winning streak going into the final week when they play both John Hardin and Etown.

9. DeSales (13-13): DeSales had a bad loss to Western or they would have held on to their #7 ranking. DeSales finishes with North Oldham before playing Doss in districts.

10. Jeffersontown (14-10): Jeffersontown stays in the Top 10 despite two losses to teams ranked ahead of them. Who has a tougher last week of the season facing both Doss and Butler?

11. North Bullitt (12-14): The Eagles finish the season against PRP.

12. Southern (11-11): The last week includes Butler and Iroquois.

13. Bullitt Central (16-10): Leap over Holy Cross after an overtime victory over them. Finish with Spencer County

14. Holy Cross (14-11): Tough game this week versus St. Xavier for the Cougars.

15. Moore (6-18): Good win for the Mustangs over Western but the last week has PRP and Fairdale on the schedule.

16. Western (3-21): Kudos for the win against DeSales last week.

17. Whitefield Academy (12-12): Bullitt Central on February 15th.

18. Beth Haven (6-18): Beth Haven finishes against Ft. Knox.

19. Evangel Christian (3-18): Two wins last week to have their best week of the season.

Edited by coachlee

Looking forward to Fridays Fairdale/Fern Creek game. I liked how Fairdale competed against Butler. Probably should have won. Led most of the game, but to Butler's credit they regained the lead with about 3 minutes left and won. I would still consider Fern Creek the favorite. After the LIT, Its a grind to post season. Sometimes I think the best teams or early favorites get a little bored during this time. I would expect Fern Creek to kick it up a notch during the post season. The 6th region tournament should be really good.

Looking forward to Fridays Fairdale/Fern Creek game. I liked how Fairdale competed against Butler. Probably should have won. Led most of the game, but to Butler's credit they regained the lead with about 3 minutes left and won. I would still consider Fern Creek the favorite. After the LIT, Its a grind to post season. Sometimes I think the best teams or early favorites get a little bored during this time. I would expect Fern Creek to kick it up a notch during the post season. The 6th region tournament should be really good.

I got a chance to watch FC this weekend against Owensboro Cath. I've been on Fern Creek all year, but something wasn't quite right with them on Saturday. They didn't look like that pack of wolves that I'm used to seeing. Also didn't seem like they were having a lot of fun either. @coachlee what did you think about Saturday?

I got a chance to watch FC this weekend against Owensboro Cath. I've been on Fern Creek all year, but something wasn't quite right with them on Saturday. They didn't look like that pack of wolves that I'm used to seeing. Also didn't seem like they were having a lot of fun either. @coachlee what did you think about Saturday?

I have a the same feeling @dognation, and I won't get into individual play or particular coaching strategies that do have an impact. But in generalities it has been mentioned by others and I agree that this team is better when they are able to play the underdog role. After winning the KOB that seemed to vanish and I did not see the hungry dog or chip on the shoulder that propelled them in the past. Hungry dogs run faster and they did not seem to possess the hunger as if they had already accomplished one of the few things remaining for them.

Remember that last year they had never ever been to a state tourney so they kept that hunger throughout. Plus it must be mentioned that Chance Moore is not walking out from that locker room anymore. That young man was special and he took so much attention from opposing defenses that it opened things up for others.

The last thing that plays into the team is they have 10 seniors and years past when they all did not play much they each had another season to look forward to. Now they do not and there is this realization that this is it. The culture is different when they all would like to be out on the court contributing and possibly get recruited to continue their dream. You add 3 freshmen who can also contribute then all of a sudden the competition for minutes from 13 kids just can work against a team as kids settle in on the roles the team needs from them. They have a couple of players that need to get hot and produce the scoring potential they need and that means looking for their shots while not being selfish. If they can figure it out in short order they have the ability obviously, but time is running short.