Buying a Suit

TTS_JF

I'm kind of ashamed to say this, but I've never owned a suit. I've generally wore a shirt/tie to formal outings, but have never owned a suit.

Any recommendations on where I should shop?

Also I'm curious what a middle of the road suit will cost?

Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suits just like anything else can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. Basically all comes down to the quality of the materials, where the suit is made, and is it custom fitted. You can get a bespoke suit where it’s literally built from scratch based on your measurements and fabric preferences. (I’ve never actually met someone who owns a genuine bespoke suit) My general recommendation would be Joseph A Bank. I think they are middle tier as far as quality goes, but you generally get great customer service and a suit that fits very well (which is hands down the most important thing) Men’s Wearhouse is also in that same ball park and they actually some of their suits are higher quality if you go that route, my experience there was just ok and my suits never come back perfect. Others may have a different experience. I would say a safe estimate for a retail suit would be ~$600 but Joseph A Bank has certain times of the year where they run really great deals and you can get half off or 2 for 1 suits which is probably the best deal. If you can swing it Brooks Brothers is probably the best retail suit store IMO, but would set you back a couple G’s. I personally couldn’t make myself spend that kind of money on a suit but the goal one day is definitely to have a couple hanging up in my closet. I’ll reiterate again the single most important thing about a suit is getting one that fits. Also NEVER button the bottom button. :thumb:

I bought all my suits at Brooks Brothers. Good quality and middle of the road. If you are a normal type of size with nothing out of the ordinary, you will find one there.

Goals. To consider Brooks Brother a middle of the road suit store. :lol2:

Suits just like anything else can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. Basically all comes down to the quality of the materials, where the suit is made, and is it custom fitted. You can get a bespoke suit where it’s literally built from scratch based on your measurements and fabric preferences. (I’ve never actually met someone who owns a genuine bespoke suit) My general recommendation would be Joseph A Bank. I think they are middle tier as far as quality goes, but you generally get great customer service and a suit that fits very well (which is hands down the most important thing) Men’s Wearhouse is also in that same ball park and they actually some of their suits are higher quality if you go that route, my experience there was just ok and my suits never come back perfect. Others may have a different experience. I would say a safe estimate for a retail suit would be ~$600 but Joseph A Bank has certain times of the year where they run really great deals and you can get half off or 2 for 1 suits which is probably the best deal. If you can swing it Brooks Brothers is probably the best retail suit store IMO, but would set you back a couple G’s. I personally couldn’t make myself spend that kind of money on a suit but the goal one day is definitely to have a couple hanging up in my closet. I’ll reiterate again the single most important thing about a suit is getting one that fits. Also NEVER button the bottom button. :thumb:

I bought at least 10 suits from Brooks Brothers and never spent over $500. I shopped the outlets in at Jeffersonville, OH and Pigeon Forge. I wore a suit nearly every day from 2001- 2015. Surely they haven't gone up that much.

I bought at least 10 suits from Brooks Brothers and never spent over $500. I shopped the outlets in at Jeffersonville, OH and Pigeon Forge. I wore a suit nearly every day from 2001- 2015. Surely they haven't gone up that much.

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a BB outlet store. Just the regular retail stores like at Kenwood Mall.

@Bengal Maniac just checked online and a retail BB suit nowadays would run about $1000-2500 depending on the material. Sounds like you got some pretty decent deals haha

I just checked with my wife to make sure I wasn't crazy. She confirms what I spent. I generally got a ti or two thrown in. I remember one time in pigeon Forge they had buy one get the second one 1/2 off. I walked out with four suits under $1000.

Nothing feels better than throwing on a pretty nice suit that was custom tailored. I feel like an absolute stud in mine. Don't get to wear them often, but man, it's a different level than the Kohl's suits or whatever I've worn in the past.

Even if you don't wear it often, in my opinion, a suit is one thing I'll spend some money on now that I'm a little older and have it. Gotta get some nice shoes too. One time expense, but if taken care of, can last a long time.

I just checked with my wife to make sure I wasn't crazy. She confirms what I spent. I generally got a ti or two thrown in. I remember one time in pigeon Forge they had buy one get the second one 1/2 off. I walked out with four suits under $1000.

I mentined this to my wife and she said I hadn't intended on buying one and was just piddling around in BB while she was somewhere else. She came in and saw the deal. These suits were on a Clearance Rack. My size was there and we bought them because we knew I would wear them. I remember they weren't all necessarily the color or pattern I liked but I am not that picky.

I quit smoking in 2015 and have gained thrity pounds. None of tehm fit anymore. I rarely wear a suit, weddings and funerals is about it. So we took one of them to a talor and had things let out.

I would have jumped all over that and I don’t even wear suits that often. That’s borderline criminal to get BB suits for that price. Haha