BluegrassPreps.com 12th Region Rankings 2/12/18

2017-2018 12th Region Weekly Updates

It has come down to the last week of regular season basketball in the state of Kentucky. District play is over and the district seeding is complete. Take a look at this week’s rankings in the 12th Region and also the district pairings for the postseason.

12th Region Rankings:

1) Mercer County Titans (21-5) – The Titans won two out of three games last week beating Lincoln County 65-51 and Frankfort 68-61, but lost at Warren Central 59-67. The loss to a good Warren Central team was the first loss Mercer County had since December, ending a 13 game winning streak. In the win over Lincoln County, Trevon Faulkner scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the double-double. Gunner Gillis added 17 points in the win.

This week the Titans finish the regular season at home as they host Woodford County and Southwestern.

2) Pulaski County Maroons (18-8) – The Maroons won two out of three games they played last week. They beat Casey County 78-47 and Southwestern 61-57, but lost to Bryan Station 67-78. In the win over Casey County, Steven Fitzgerald scored 30 points and Grant Oakes added 13 points in the win. In the win over Southwestern, Fitzgerald was once again leading scorer with 40 points.

The Maroons finish the regular season playing at home versus Corbin, then traveling to West Jessamine.

3) Boyle County Rebels (16-6) – The Rebels won two out of three games they played last week. They beat Southwestern 73-62 and Casey County 60-42, but lost to Covington Catholic 55-82. Reese Smith was leading scorer in the win over Southwestern with 24 points. In the win over Casey County Bryce Slone led the way with 17 points. In the loss to Covington Catholic, Reese Smith once again was leading scorer with 15 points.

The Rebels spend the last week of regular season playing at home versus Wayne County and Oldham County.

4) West Jessamine Colts (16-8) – The Colts won all three games they played last week. They beat Woodford County 62-50, Wayne County 67-50, and Somerset 78-71. In the win over Woodford County, Drew Cook was leading scorer with 15 points. Dalton Bruner scored 23 points in the win over Wayne County and 34 points in the win over Somerset to lead the Colts.

West Jessamine will prep for the post season this week traveling to Paul Laurence Dunbar, then returning home to take on Pulaski County.

5) Somerset Briar Jumpers (22-6) – The Jumpers lost two out of three games they played last week. They started the week beating Wayne County 46-39, but lost the next two games to Knox Central 71-92 and West Jessamine 71-78. In the win over Wayne County, freshman Kade Grundy led scoring with 19 points. Jake Cothron was leading scorer with 18 points in the loss to West Jessamine.

The Jumpers will travel to Garrard County this week, and then return home for Senior Night as they take on the Danville Admirals.

6) Southwestern Warriors (14-12) – The Warriors lost both games they played last week. They lost to Boyle County 62-73 and Pulaski County 57-61. In the loss to Boyle County, Hunter Stevens was leading scorer with 27 points while Jonathon Gallagher added 17 points. Gallagher scored a team high 28 points in the loss to Pulaski County.

The Warriors spend the last week of regular season on the road as they travel to Jackson County and Mercer County.

7) Wayne County Cardinals (15-13) – The Cardinals lost two of three games they played last week. They beat Rockcastle County 69-35, but lost to Somerset 39-46 and West Jessamine 50-67. In the win over Rockcastle County, Kameron Gehring led the Cardinals in scoring with 14 points while Jakson Baker added 13 points. In the loss to Somerset, Thomas Spencer was leading scorer with 16 points.

The Cardinals finish out the regular season traveling to Boyle County and hosting Lexington Catholic for Senior Night.

8) Lincoln County Patriots (12-16) – The Patriots split a pair of games last week. They beat Danville 76-67 but lost to Mercer County 51-65. In the loss to Mercer County, Blake Smith led the way with 21 points while Chase Phillips added 18 points.

This week the Patriots travel to Lexington Catholic before finishing out the regular season at home versus Casey County.

9) Danville Admirals (12-13) – The Admirals won two of three games last week. They beat Model 74-50 and Garrard County 62-34, but lost to Lincoln County 67-76. Jared Southerland was leading scorer with 18 points in the win over Model. Tanner Ford and Zach Thornton both had 13 points to lead Danville in the win over Garrard County.

The Admirals will host Russell County this week for Senior Night before ending the regular season at Somerset.

10) McCreary Central Raiders (12-14) – The Raiders had a busy week winning three of four games last week. They beat Clinton county 61-60, Williamsburg 73-66, and Barbourville 70-58, but lost to East Jessamine 64-72. In the win over Clinton County, Hunter Jones had 19 points. Derrick Paige was leading scorer with 20 points in the win over Williamsburg.

The Raiders will finish the regular season at home, as they host Casey County and Lynn Camp.

11) East Jessamine Jaguars (12-16) – The Jaguars won both games they played last week. They beat Bourbon County 71-54 and McCreary Central 72-64.

This week East Jessamine will host Sayre for Senior Night then travel to Danville to finish out the regular season.

12) Garrard County Golden Lions (9-18) – The Golden Lions had a busy week last week playing four games. They beat Casey County 68-46 and Rockcastle County 65-48. They lost to Danville 34-62 and Nelson County 62-71.

This week Garrard County will host Somerset for Senior Night before traveling to Western Hills to finish the regular season.

13) Casey County Rebels (3-24) – The Rebels lost all three games they played last week. They lost to Pulaski County 47-78, Garrard County 46-68, and Boyle County 42-60.

The Rebels have a busy week ahead on the road as they travel to McCreary Central, Taylor County, and Lincoln County.

14) Rockcastle County Rockets (5-21) – The Rockets lost all three games they played last week. They lost to Wayne County 35-69, Jackson County 43-59, and Garrard County 48-65.

The Rockets are on the road to start the week as they travel to Whitley County and South Laurel. They return home for Senior Night to play Russell County.

15) Burgin Bulldogs (9-16) – The Bulldogs lost all three games they played last week. They lost to Whitefield Academy 40-65, Berea 47-75, and Portland Christian 50-53.

The Bulldogs finish the season with three home games against Evangel Christian, Riverside Christian, and Augusta.

16) Kentucky School f/t Deaf Colonels (1-17) – The Colonels did not play last week and do not have any games scheduled this coming week.

District Pairings:

45th District

#4 Garrard County vs #5 KSD

#1 Boyle County vs the winner of #4 Garrard County/ #5 KSD

#2 Lincoln County vs #3 Danville

46th District

#1 Mercer County vs #4 Burgin

#2 West Jessamine vs #3 East Jessamine

47th District

#1 Somerset vs #4 Rockcastle County

#2 Pulaski County vs #3 Casey County

48th District

#2 Wayne County vs #3 McCreary Central

#1 Southwestern vs the winner of #2 Wayne County/#3 McCreary Central

How do you think the district tournaments will play out? Who do you think will win and runner up for each district tourney?

I feel good saying these teams will make the region tournament:

Boyle County

Mercer County

West Jessamine

Pulaski County

Somerset

Southwestern

The remaining spots are wide open between:

Danville

Lincoln County

McCreary Central

Wayne County

My district tournaments predictions are this with the runner-up in parentheses:

Boyle County(Danville)

Mercer County(West Jessamine)

Pulaski County(Somerset)

Southwestern(Wayne County)

So everybody thinks no upsets. Mercer is at West and it is always a crazy environment when we play there. Mercer should win but if West is on they could beat Mercer especially the way Mercer has played the last two games. Where is the Pulaski District tourney? Any chance Somerset upsets them in the championship? Any chance Lincoln or Danville upset Boyle?

So everybody thinks no upsets. Mercer is at West and it is always a crazy environment when we play there. Mercer should win but if West is on they could beat Mercer especially the way Mercer has played the last two games. Where is the Pulaski District tourney? Any chance Somerset upsets them in the championship? Any chance Lincoln or Danville upset Boyle?

There’s a chance Lincoln County or Danville can beat Boyle County. I wouldn’t count out Garrard County to upset Boyle County either. I don’t expect it to happen but it can happen. I wouldn’t sleep on any of the 45th District teams.

Same for the 46h. I think West Jessamine can beat Mercer County but I don’t think they will do it. I don’t think East Jessamine will beat West Jessamine.

I’ll be surprised if Pulaski County doesn’t win their district. I don’t think Somerset can defeat a full strength Pulaski County team.

The Wayne County/McCreary Central game is the hardest game to pick IMO. The winner of that game could also beat Southwestern in the title game.

There’s a chance Lincoln County or Danville can beat Boyle County. I wouldn’t count out Garrard County to upset Boyle County either. I don’t expect it to happen but it can happen. I wouldn’t sleep on any of the 45th District teams.

Same for the 46h. I think West Jessamine can beat Mercer County but I don’t think they will do it. I don’t think East Jessamine will beat West Jessamine.

I’ll be surprised if Pulaski County doesn’t win their district. I don’t think Somerset can defeat a full strength Pulaski County team.

The Wayne County/McCreary Central game is the hardest game to pick IMO. The winner of that game could also beat Southwestern in the title game.

After watching Mercer this weekend; they are a much better team than I initially thought. They are more than just Faulkner.