Corbin's Andrew Taylor Moving Up the All-Time Scoring Ranks

His 34 points against Whitley Co. on Thursday night made him the all-time leading scorer in the 13th Region, surpassing Harlan's Charles Thomas, who finished his career with 3,366 points.

Taylor added 27 points against North Laurel the following night, bringing his career total to 3,397, placing him 6th all-time in the state of Kentucky.

Next up on the list is ex-UK Wildcat Chris Harrison, who sits 145 points ahead of the Corbin standout and Furman signee.

Corbin has two regular season games left. If they advance to play two district games, three regional games, and one game in the state tourney , Taylor would need to average a little over 24 pts. a game to become the third all-time scorer. If Corbin plays nine more games, Taylor would need to average just slightly over 21 a game to replace Cam Justice as third all-time.

The loss of the Doss game and the three games he missed due to suspension likely costed him #2 all-time. There is only 60 pts. separating Cam Justice and #2 Charlie Osborne. Sixty points in four games would have been a virtual certainty.

Taylor is also a rebounding machine. He is, I believe, already in the Top 25 All-time for rebounds. Not bad for a 6' 3" guy.

A lot of work goes into putting up the kind of stats some of these kids do. I love seeing the KY kids do well at the next level. I remember watching Rick Jones playing varsity @ Corbin as an eighth grader and then going on to become Mr. Basketball at Scott County and then setting the record for most three-pointers in an SEC game while playing for Vanderbilt.

Honestly, in order for Corbin to make one more trip to Lexington(third time the charm, hopefully), they are gonna need to share the ball a lot better. The sharing of the ball in the Knox Central game was incredible. It hasn't been as good since then. Andrew needs to distribute the rock to his teammates and they need to finish. Taylor can get his 26 and the team can still be successful when others step up. When Andrew goes for 45, but doesn't engage the other guys or other guys don't step up, the team is not as successful. I know the coach and everyone around the program wants to see him break records, but in order for the team to reach its fullest potential, there needs to be more ball sharing and scoring from others. Taylor has a good supporting cast if they are utilized efficiently.

If Taylor keeps his head on straight , he has the chance to have a really nice career. I said the same for former Corbin guard Rick Jones. I watched Rick play from the time he was a little guy . He starred on the Corbin varsity his eighth grade, freshman, and sophomore years. Rick then transferred to Scott County to play for former Redhound coach Billy Hicks, won a state title and a Mr. Basketball, and received a scholarship to Vandy. He set the SEC tournament record for 3 pointers in a game(8). That's where the good news ended for Rick. If anyone wants meet to fill in the remaining blanks for Rick Jones' story, I will be glad to do so. Just let me know.

I can see Andrew , who I believe is potentially as good as Rick, having a very successful career if he is able to manage life away from the friendly confines of the small town home he grew up in. Former Mr. Basketball Rick Jones , like Taylor, grew up in Corbin. Jones, unfortunately, didn't manage his life away from Corbin very well. Bad decisions and episodes of terrible judgment did in the former Mr. Basketball. Which path will the present Mr. Basketball candidate take? A superlative college career without incident or a road paved with pot holes , hard knocks, and a life that falls short of promise and expectation? Hopefully, he will learn from Rick's story.

Btw, for those who are unaware, Andrew will attend Furman University, the same school where another Corbin native, Frank Selvy, left his mark. Selvy scored 100 points in a game versus Newberry College in 1954, the only Divison I player ever to do so. Here's hoping that Andrew Taylor leaves his own indelible mark at Furman.

Edited by Science Friction

Just riding you a bit. He is certainly a candidate but I don't think he'll win. Great career, though.

I agree. Does anyone know the criteria used for determining the Mr. Basketball? What kind of things do voters look at? Just stats? Off - court(+/-) ? Career numbers or Just senior season? The vote is after the season is over, right?