Owensboro 2018

Ram

Owensboro didn't have the season they expected last year and looking at their record, most would think they were pretty bad. IMO that wasn't the case. Penalties and turn overs. That was the true problem over on frederica. If the coaching staff had gotten a handle on those, the season would have been drastically different. That being said, OHS returns its' entire backfield minus 1. The fullback Sherman Cowherd is lost to graduation. He was pretty much the work horse of the offense (for better or worse) having probably the majority of the carries. Tre'Von Green is one of the quicker players on the team and every time he touches the ball there is the opportunity to take the ball to the house as with Monte Owsley. I've read many comments that the speedster should have had the ball in his hands much more. I can't argue with that seeing how he averaged over 10 yards a carry. Owsley was a swiss army knife for the devils as he returned kicks, played defense and on occasion, punted. Zeke Brown played Quarter Back for the first 9 games before being moved to full back. It was said that the back up, Nick Belcher was the better of the two throwing, but for the throwing that he was asked to do, I don't think that Brown did such a bad job. He has close to the speed of Owsley with another 35 or 40 pounds. When you added the yards that he gained with his legs you have a package that is definitely something that you have to prepare for especially when you throw his back field mates into the mix.

O-Line may be an issue for the Devils as they graduated 2 3-year starters and 1 2-year starter. I believe they are making strides toward that, but it remains to be seen. Carson Brooks will more than likely anchor the line as a 2-year starter, Logan Webb will move to center from the guard or tackle position.

On the defensive side of the ball, OHS has to get better in the defensive backfield. Bowling Green and Christian exposed their secondary to be a bit behind and Daviess County took advantage of them also. Line backer and D-line might prove to be their strongest areas.

Diamond Glover, NT, may be the biggest surprise in the area this season. He made big strides last year. Getting to the weight room, adding consistency to his play and refining his technique could make him one of the top performers in the area, if not the state.

Last year owensboro started a freshman and a sophomore as inside line backers and over the course of the season they grew and became better. Depending on what they do offensively with Brown they may have a third very good linebacker (as he started linebacker as a sophomore).

In conclusion, Owensboro wasn't as bad as their record would have you believe but their is always room for improvement. With Catholic's former QB Will Warren in the Devil's Den, the competition for signal caller may heat up immensely. When Brown was moved to running back last year, he scored twice against Henderson and again from the position against Bowling Green. Later in that game, he was required to come back in as QB and he engineered a TD drive with Owsley scoring.

Whoever wins the QB job will have an array of targets. With those I have already named, there is Tyron Hayden (6'3") who was the main pass catcher last year, and Camron Watkins an up and coming soon to be Junior. Plus I believe Brennon Williams, a 6'5" WR/TE/LB is returning to the team.

Several players may have to do double duty so they'd better get their running in. In the past, Owensboro was always concerned with having 22 starters. They need to put their best players on the field, no matter how many starters you have. You need to prepare your best guys to play as long as you need them to play.

There is a lot of excitement of Frederica Street among the players and the coaches. The talk of Owensboro Football being down for awhile might be a bit premature.:up:

Will Warren is now at Owensboro at QB. I would obviously expect him to start and I would expect the Owensboro offensive scheme to look drastically different. Warren and Owsley on offense, paired with a loaded defense returning....there is a lot to look forward to for Devils fans.

Will Warren is now at Owensboro at QB. I would obviously expect him to start and I would expect the Owensboro offensive scheme to look drastically different. Warren and Owsley on offense, paired with a loaded defense returning....there is a lot to look forward to for Devils fans.

I hope that many think that is all the Owensboro has as a team. They are mistaken and will be surprised. You undoubtedly saw the Owensboro Apollo game. If that is the case you'd have seen that there are more cogs in the wheel than those two. I don't think it would be fair to the Quarterbacks all ready on the team to just hand over the reigns to Will Warren. He should have to compete and if he's the better of the three, he starts. Owsley is indeed an explosive player but as I stated in my post, there are a couple others playing also. Look at the final stats for the area leaders, how many offensive players from Owensboro were on the list? Owensboro even had a receiver on the list. Don't believe that it's fair to the other kids on that team for you to say that it's obvious that Warren will start and that Owesly will be the only weapon of the offense. Trust me, though they can be important pieces, they are not the only pieces there. Bad assumption.

I hope that many think that is all the Owensboro has as a team. They are mistaken and will be surprised. You undoubtedly saw the Owensboro Apollo game. If that is the case you'd have seen that there are more cogs in the wheel than those two. I don't think it would be fair to the Quarterbacks all ready on the team to just hand over the reigns to Will Warren. He should have to compete and if he's the better of the three, he starts. Owsley is indeed an explosive player but as I stated in my post, there are a couple others playing also. Look at the final stats for the area leaders, how many offensive players from Owensboro were on the list? Owensboro even had a receiver on the list. Don't believe that it's fair to the other kids on that team for you to say that it's obvious that Warren will start and that Owesly will be the only weapon of the offense. Trust me, though they can be important pieces, they are not the only pieces there. Bad assumption.

No where in there did I say that Owsley and Warren were the only weapons on that offense. Just mentioned those 2 because they are 2 of the better talents in western Kentucky. Ive watched quite a few OHS games over the last few years and they are loaded with weapons, just like your previous post mentioned. I do believe we agree. I love the WR Hayden. I look for him to thrive in the spread. He will be my breakout candidate if the rumors are true and Owensboro does change offenses. While you don't just hand Warren the job, I do think it will be his to lose. Its nothing against the other guys, but he is a great talent and I would be shocked if he doesn't win the job.

Seems like the lack of a passing threat is what has been holding OHS back since as long as I can remember. Based of what Warren did at OCHS I can't see how he isn't under center from day 1. The Devils usually have plenty of kids capable of running the ball, but me and my buddy who goes to just about every OHS game, couldn't figure out while Owsley didn't get more carries.

• 2 months later...