Yu Darvish to the Cubs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way less than what he was predicted to get. A slow FA market allowed the Cubs to make this move. It’s the 7th pitcher for the Cubs this offseason I believe.

Chatwood was great away from Coors and he induces a lot of ground balls which plays into the Cubs strengths.

1. Darvish

2. Quintana

3. Hendricks

4. Lester

5. Chatwood

That’s a nice rotation.

6 years for a 31 year old who has been a .500 pitcher the last two seasons after missing all of 2015 for TJ surgery.

And it’s a discounted rate. It’s been established that W/L stats for pitchers are an overrated stat. It’s all about WAR, WHIP, K to Walk ratio, etc. There’s an opt out after 2019.

He was projected to get $26-28 Million a season. So getting him for $30-48 million less over the course of the contract is a bargain. It’s a good fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs rotation is looking nasty, on paper at least.

Lester

Yu

Quintana

Hendricks

Chatwood

Chatwood has been really good away from Coors and probably underrated. Schwarber looks like a speedy center fielder with his new physique. I’m really excited about this season.

Cubs rotation is looking nasty, on paper at least.

Lester

Yu

Quintana

Hendricks

Chatwood

Chatwood has been really good away from Coors and probably underrated. Schwarber looks like a speedy center fielder with his new physique. I’m really excited about this season.

Are we sure Lester is still good? They would have let him walk to if he was a FA.

Are we sure Lester is still good? They would have let him walk to if he was a FA.

If we consider Lester our weak link, I’d guess at least 28 other teams in MLB would gladly trade rotations. I think at this point you’d be reaching to call him bad. Would they give him the same contract they gave him 4 years ago now? No, but he’s still a formidable big game pitcher. Lester is a #2 or #3 in any other team.

Do you watch much baseball?

If we consider Lester our weak link, I’d guess at least 28 other teams in MLB would gladly trade rotations. I think at this point you’d be reaching to call him bad. Would they give him the same contract they gave him 4 years ago now? No, but he’s still a formidable big game pitcher. Lester is a #2 or #3 in any other team.

Do you watch much baseball?

I watch a game or two and Lester is a #2 or #3 for the Cubs. You apparently watch a lot of ball, which one of his advanced stats tells you he will return to an Ace?

The only time we’ve really spoken baseball is when we debated the Jason Heyward signing. I would imagine even Cubs fans don’t love it today.

Edited by John Anthony

I watch a game or two and Lester is a #2 or #3 for the Cubs. You apparently watch a lot of ball, which one of his advanced stats tells you he will return to an Ace?

The only time we’ve really spoken baseball is when we debated the Jason Heyward signing. I would imagine even Cubs fans don’t love it today.

I’m not sure we have a true Ace. Maybe Darvish. I think we have 4 #2’s and a 4 at worst. At best, we have an Ace in Yu, 3 #2’s, and a 3 If Chatwood does what he’s done away from Coors all year.

Heyward is a great team leader. His contract is the only “bad” one we have at this point. I’m hoping the addition of Chili Davis can get him back to his pre-Cub offensive self.

I’m not sure we have a true Ace. Maybe Darvish. I think we have 4 #2’s and a 4 at worst. At best, we have an Ace in Yu, 3 #2’s, and a 3 If Chatwood does what he’s done away from Coors all year.

Heyward is a great team leader. His contract is the only “bad” one we have at this point. I’m hoping the addition of Chili Davis can get him back to his pre-Cub offensive self.

Darvish can be an ace. What concerns me the most about Lester is his fastball is gone. We will have to see if he can get any of it back.

I don't think anyone expects Lester to return to ace status. I would think all the Cubs want out of him is to start every 5th day and get through 2 to 2 1/2 rotations of the batting order. Basically throw 5 or 6 innings, then bring on the pen.

Win 12-14 games and throw 170-180 innings. I think he can still do that.

I don't think anyone expects Lester to return to ace status. I would think all the Cubs want out of him is to start every 5th day and get through 2 to 2 1/2 rotations of the batting order. Basically throw 5 or 6 innings, then bring on the pen.

Win 12-14 games and throw 170-180 innings. I think he can still do that.

Sounds about right he’s a better John Lackey now except gets almost a million per start.