Notre Dame Wins Big Ten Hockey Championship During First Year In The Conference

Run To State

Number 1 Irish beat number 6 Ohio State 2-1 last night, fun game to watch.

In its first year in the Big Ten Conference, the Notre Dame hockey team has clinched the Big Ten championship.

Hobey Baker candidate Cale Morris made 31 saves for the Irish, earning his 21st victory of the season. Jordan Gross netted the game winner in the second period, while Andrew Oglevie notched the other tally for the Irish.

Ohio State goalie Sean Romeo made 27 saves in the effort, while Kevin Miller scored a power-play goal for the Buckeyes.

The game included 13 penalties, with the Irish going 0-for-6 on the power play and Ohio State scoring on one of four chances.

The victory clinches the top seed in the Big Ten Tournament, giving the Irish the lone first-round bye.

Notre Dame will host a semifinal game at Compton Family Ice Arena on Saturday, March 10, and should it advance, the final on Saturday, March 17.

I don’t follow college hockey so forgive my ignorance, but ND is in the Big 10? I’m guessing the ACC isn’t really a powerhouse in hockey outside of BC. Someone care to explain how the conferences work for college hockey?

The Big Ten is the only league you’d recognize as a conference from other sports and it’s very new. Only a few years old as the Big Ten members were formerly in the WCHA and CCHA.

Notre Dame used to be in the CCHA with the Michigan schools and Ohio State. BC has been and remains a member of Hockey East.

The rest are bunched together in other regional organizations that exist only in hockey.

I don’t follow college hockey so forgive my ignorance, but ND is in the Big 10? I’m guessing the ACC isn’t really a powerhouse in hockey outside of BC. Someone care to explain how the conferences work for college hockey?

College hockey is fun to watch. Give it a try! Your Buckeye's are quite good!

Glad to see that the Buckeyes pounded the Irish yesterday.

I wouldn't get used to it considering they're 1 for 4 against the Irish this season. Irish played sloppy and unfocused. You can't put your goaltender on two on ones and breakaways all game and expect good results.