UK/UT Football Rivals?

woodsrider

I got into a "discussion" on facebook as to whether or not UT and UK are rivals in football. Of course they are in the sense they have history and are in the same conference. But my point was UK wasn't as much of a rival to UT fans as UT is to UK fans. UK getting handled for the better part of 3 decades has really killed it. I put them at best 3rd on the list of UT rivals and could make an argument they are as low as 5th.

"Rivals" has some subjectivity to it. UK is obviously not UT's competitive rival on the field, but most rivalries have a regional component to it and that is where this one falls. Make not mistake, UT fans love beating down UK on the field.

At best I think UK is 4th on UT’s list.

1. Alabama

2. Georgia

3. Florida

4. UK

But UT is a clear second on UK’s list.

I get the Alabama thing because they play every year, but traditionally I've thought of Florida as being their main nemesis.

Obviously. That is the case in a multitude of rivalries.

I understand that, but to me rivalries are supposed to represent a little bit more than geographics. There should be some history of the teams being competitive against each other. USC/ Notre Dame is a great rivalry and geographics play zero part in that. The reason Ohio State/ Michigan is such a good rivalry is because the programs have been competitive. I just have a hard time viewing Tennessee/ Vandy or Tennessee/ UK as a big rivalry. That’s probably why I place more emphasis on Tennessee/ Bama being a big rivalry because traditionally these were the two best programs in the conference. Just like for the first couple of years after Saban got to Bama, the Bama/ LSU game was close to the same level as the Iron Bowl because the game meant so much on a national level. That’s sort of the same thing that’s happening with Ohio State and Penn State right now. There has to be some semblance of genuine disdain between the two programs for it to be considered a true rivalry.