How much are stats overated in High School basketball?

We've all seen the big stat numbers from kids over the years, but how important are these stats compared to how good the kid really is on the court. Are they team players or selfish players? Do they make kids around them better or worse by having the kids standing around watching the stat player. Do kids transfer from that school, so they can play on a team that shares the ball. (oh wait, that never happens)

Kids on lesser teams can put up big numbers, but are they any better than kids on a good team that have average stats because many of the players on that team are highly skilled players?

Are stats important? I say the answer is yes and no.

Yes when trying to get to the next level, so coaches at least take a look at the kid.

No when comparing kids because there are too many variances. Example: The six and seventh region reports stats leaders out on some mediums. When you look at the list of the top kids on the list many play for sub-standard teams and are the only option on that team. Are their stats skewed compared to other top teams where kids aren't the only option or don't get as many minutes on the court because of a running clock?

Stats are fun to look at for the player, family, and message boards, but that's about it.

What are your thoughts?

Agreed on the yes and no. The best kids will get seen regardless of competition.

And I am in full agreement with not reporting assists to the power-that-be. Way too subjective.

Totally disagree on the assists for our school. We have a teacher keep our stats and he is right on. Now other schools I can't say.

Statistics do play an important role and they involve a great deal more than just points. If kept correctly, they can give a glimpse at how valuable a player is to the team and can give you an idea how good the player actually is. If a player is scoring 25 or 30 points a game but having to shoot 30 times a game, it probably means that the player is the one of the few scorers the team has. However, if the player is scoring 15 points a game shooting 8-10 shots a game, it means that he/she is pretty efficient in scoring and probably getting to the free throw line as well even if there are other good players on the team. If a team has an efficient scorer that also distributes the basketball and gives teammates scoring (assists), rebounds the ball well to gives their team extra possessions, defends well (steals, blocked shots, and charges drawn), and takes care of the basketball (low turnovers), that player is probably pretty good and will get noticed by someone at the next level to at least take a look at the player.

Statistics do play an important role and they involve a great deal more than just points. If kept correctly, they can give a glimpse at how valuable a player is to the team and can give you an idea how good the player actually is. If a player is scoring 25 or 30 points a game but having to shoot 30 times a game, it probably means that the player is the one of the few scorers the team has. However, if the player is scoring 15 points a game shooting 8-10 shots a game, it means that he/she is pretty efficient in scoring and probably getting to the free throw line as well even if there are other good players on the team. If a team has an efficient scorer that also distributes the basketball and gives teammates scoring (assists), rebounds the ball well to gives their team extra possessions, defends well (steals, blocked shots, and charges drawn), and takes care of the basketball (low turnovers), that player is probably pretty good and will get noticed by someone at the next level to at least take a look at the player.

Agree 100 %.Finally someone that understands it is not all about scoring high points.

Great post

I take stats with a grain of salt. Saw one kid set his school record for number of assists in a game, which sounds good. Only problem is it was in a blowout game (back before a running clock). Two things happened that made this a joke...one was that after any missed shot, if there was an offensive rebound, they threw the ball back to this kid so he could pass it to someone and they could shoot immediately. The other thing that really scorched me was that when the second/third teamers kept missing the shot that would break the record, the coach put another starter back in so he could take/make the shot. So, this stat, to me, means squat. Context is everything.

I think the stats should reflect the player making their team better by assists, rebounds, points, steals, blocks, etc. These schools that have losing records and put their star player’s stats out there even when they lose games are selling out to the player and not facilitating a team environment so they will never be successful. I would much rather have a 10 point a game scorer with all their teammates scoring around the same and that person doing other things like assists for their teammates. I wish these college coaches would actually watch players and not go by high scorers. For instance, at a small school in a bad region with little competition, someone can dominate. However, in a competitive region at a school with good players, someone may not dominate but make the team better. That’s what it’s all about anyway. The game involves 5 players, not 1. That’s golf!