What Was Your Favorite UK Win in Your Lifetime?

Science Friction

I figure most folks will say a national title game, but for me it was the 1975 win over the undefeated #1 ranked Indiana Hoosiers in the Mideast Regional final. IU had beaten UK by 24 points earlier in the season and most people gave the Cats no chance of defeating the mighty top-ranked Hoosiers(31-0), riding a 34-game winning streak and led by Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, Steve Green and Scott May.

The Cats, led by Kevin Grevey, Jimmy Dan Connor, Bob Guyette, Mike Flynn, Givens, Robey, and Phillips , pulled off the upset. I loved it when, after the game, the cameras caught Bobby Knight's wife crying in the stands. :lol:

Interestingly, Coach K. was an assistant to Knight on that IU team. Also, how many of you remember the infamous incident near the end of the game when Knight went over by the UK bench to argue a call to the referee? Before leaving the UK bench area, Knight ended up hitting Joe Hall in the back of the head. The UK assistant coach had to be restrained from popping Knight.

My favorite UK game EVER....

Anyone remember that game???

What is your favorite UK game(win) ?

If you root for another school besides UK, what game is your favorite win?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure most folks will say a national title game, but for me it was the 1975 win over the undefeated #1 ranked Indiana Hoosiers in the Mideast Regional final. IU had beaten UK by 24 points earlier in the season and most people gave the Cats no chance of defeating the mighty top-ranked Hoosiers(31-0), riding a 34-game winning streak and led by Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, Steve Green and Scott May.

The Cats, led by Kevin Grevey, Jimmy Dan Connor, Bob Guyette, Mike Flynn, Givens, Robey, and Phillips , pulled off the upset. I loved it when, after the game, the cameras caught Bobby Knight's wife crying in the stands. :lol:

Interestingly, Coach K. was an assistant to Knight on that IU team. Also, how many of you remember the infamous incident near the end of the game when Knight went over by the UK bench to argue a call to the referee? Before leaving the UK bench area, Knight ended up hitting Joe Hall in the back of the head. The UK assistant coach had to be restrained from popping Knight.

This was/is my favorite game also. But Knight "cuffing" Joe B on the back of the head was from the game earlier that year when IU beat UK pretty bad.7_3497571.jpg

This was/is my favorite game also. But Knight "cuffing" Joe B on the back of the head was from the game earlier that year when IU beat UK pretty bad.[ATTACH=CONFIG]65369[/ATTACH]

Yes, you are right, kind sir. The game at Bloomington was the game Joe B. got whacked. I believe Coach Hall felt pretty humiliated at the beating BOTH he and his Cats took that day. I remember listening to that game on the radio. I think we lost 98-74. It was a pasting.

84 SEC Title game against Auburn, Kenny Walker's last-second shot beats the Tigers and leaves Charles Barkley sitting on the floor crying.

98 Region Finals comeback against Duke, which catapulted them to the Title that season.

There are plenty that I have loved but those will probably always be my two favorites.

I remember that game vs. IU-----was played in Dayton if memory serves.

I'm hazy on the particulars but the game where UK came back from 30+ points to beat LSU. I think this was during the probation period or right after it.

Rex Chapman lit up UL in Freedom Hall.

Some the UK-ND games in Freedom Hall during Christmas season. Notre Dame had sone very, very good players but UK always seemed to win. Was quite an atmosphere in that arena.

1996 vs Syracuse for the championship. For one it was the first Kentucky championship in my lifetime that I was old enough to remember. Second, I was at a college in Indiana surrounded by a ton of lifelong die hard IU fans, all of whom had no love for UK. Really enjoyed getting to tell them all to eat it.

The Cardiac Cats 1998 South Region Final over Duke here at Tropicana Field. The 1978 National Final over Duke. The Mardi Gras Miracle.

My absolute favorite? The Maravich-Issel shootout in 1970. Pete Maravich scored 64 points in his last game at LSU, but Dan Issel scored 51, and the Cats won 121-105.

That ranks up there on my list. But Knight cuffed Hall on the head in the regular season game. That and the blowout made the whole team salty in the rematch.

Not a great quality film but the game is out there on YouTube with Cawood’s call synch in.