College basketball and shooting percent

newarkcatholicfan

The more I watch games, especially the last couple of years, I am shocked with how horrible most teams shoot the ball, from the floor. I can remember one game right off hand this year, where a team shot 50% or better.(Bucknell) and they lost to a team(Lehigh) who shot 47%, and sadly that is a higher mark.

Thoughts?

I think 3 point line destroyed College Shooting.

I remember when UK hit 54% as a team for 1978.

I'd argue it should be quite the opposite. 3 point shooting spreads the floor and in theory opens driving lanes. The real problem is teams now place a heavy value on rim protection and those driving lanes close in the blink of an eye on the help side the closer you get to to basket. Watch a Cincinnati game for an extended period and see how near impossible it is to score from 5 feet and in. The contested layup is close to passing the long 2 point jumper for least efficient shot in the game...

Watching a lower level of talent results in watching a lower level of performance...

Looks like more than half of the best shooting % teams in the NCAA are from the so-called "non-power" conferences. So that doesn't make any sense. College basketball is college basketball no matter what conference they are from.

Looks like more than half of the best shooting % teams in the NCAA are from the so-called "non-power" conferences. So that doesn't make any sense. College basketball is college basketball no matter what conference they are from.

Is it possible that the "power" conferences have more size (harder to shoot over) and more quickness (harder to get around to get shots), thus lowering their numbers?

You think those teams have more skill than the power conference teams? :lol2:

It's because there is less legit rim protection in the lower leagues as well. Just because something is easier doesn't make it better...

Sec, Big 12, and Big are three big time conferences and the games I have watched are usually worse than the mid major conferences that I watch, so there goes that theory.

Let me guess. You don't watch the NBA because they don't play any defense??? :lol2:

NBA does not appeal to me.

As far as defense, I have no clue being I do not watch it.

Had you asked instead of trying to be a troll, you would have known that.

:lol2:

You watch a low level of basketball on purpose and want to know why it stinks? Then call me a troll for pointing it out? This is fantastic...