What should the Browns do with 2 top 5 picks?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I started this thread is for one simple reason. Why not draft 2 QBs? No matter what they do they aren’t going to be in any kind of position to win next year. If you play the odds about 50% of first round QBs work out. Why not draft two so you know you will get the right guy?

The reason I started this thread is for one simple reason. Why not draft 2 QBs? No matter what they do they aren’t going to be in any kind of position to win next year. If you play the odds about 50% of first round QBs work out. Why not draft two so you know you will get the right guy?

I would not recommend this, but i don't claim to be a GM..

If I am the Browns, I do the exact opposite. They have a lot of cap space. Sign a free agent quarterback and don't waste any more draft picks on QB's

You think they'll have to way overpay to get someone to actually sign with them?

Maybe who ever is odd man out in Minnesota would consider them.

Trade them away for an offensive line and defense and QB. There are journeyman qbs that can get you to mediocrity if you can protect them. Foles, Keenum, Mccarron, Cousins (best of the bunch), etc. will all need jobs next year.

They are building just hoping to win 5 games next season.

Trading a top 5 pick for a 5th rounder in 2121 seems like terrible value... :idunno:

If you can guarantee that you have the right QB in place for the foreseeable future isn’t that worth it though? Having the QB position set is more than worth essentially giving away a pick. I’m not saying it’s the right strategy. I’m simply saying that statistically speaking about 50% of first round QBs end up being franchise guys. Obviously both guys could flop and that would be very Browns of them, but just for the sake of argument one guy is going to be a stud and one a bust and you have no way of knowing which is which before the draft. Do you take the gamble and draft one and the best player available or draft both and go for the sure thing?

Trade them away for an offensive line and defense and QB. There are journeyman qbs that can get you to mediocrity if you can protect them. Foles, Keenum, Mccarron, Cousins (best of the bunch), etc. will all need jobs next year.

They are building just hoping to win 5 games next season.

Assuming Joe Thomas doesn't retire, I think the Browns offensive line is considered one of the strong points of their team

If you can guarantee that you have the right QB in place for the foreseeable future isn’t that worth it though? Having the QB position set is more than worth essentially giving away a pick. I’m not saying it’s the right strategy. I’m simply saying that statistically speaking about 50% of first round QBs end up being franchise guys. Obviously both guys could flop and that would be very Browns of them, but just for the sake of argument one guy is going to be a stud and one a bust and you have no way of knowing which is which before the draft. Do you take the gamble and draft one and the best player available or draft both and go for the sure thing?

How many actual franchise QBs do you think there are in the NFL? Huge difference between serviceable and franchise levels here...

They will take a QB at #1. If they stay at #4, they take the best player available at a position of need, perhaps a DB. Barlkey would also be an interesting pick at #4 giving them a dynamic RB to immediately improve their offense and help out their new QB.

I must admit, the thought of drafting two QBs also crossed my mind... their top guy at #1 and the next best available at #4. It is an intriguing thought. Things won't change until Cleveland gets a QB who can win.

I do think Cleveland will, in fact, get 2 Qbs this off-season. However, the first will come in free agency. The second will be the #1 draft pick. The FA QB will give them time to develop a rookie QB, say Josh Rosen.

The one caveat to this plan is if the FA QB is Kirk Cousins. I think that will change the Browns approach in the draft. They won't need to draft a QB at #1 if they get Cousins. They will still take one, but with a later pick. Any other FA QB other than Cousins and the Browns still use their #1 pick on a QB. Cousins is the only one available who has a future as a starter. The others are stop-gap measures.

I get your point. Washington did that sort of. They drafted RG3 in 1st round and in the same draft they drafted Cousins in the 4th round. Which ended up well for them since RG3 was a bust after his 1st year.

So I don't know if I use two top 5 picks on qbs. Maybe 1 and then also best player available. Then if they want to truly better their odds. Then draft a qb in the 2nd round like the Oklahoma State qb or Lamar Jackson.