Western Kentucky high schools shelve rivalries to stand with Marshall County

Across Western Kentucky on Tuesday night, rivalries and competition were put aside as high school athletes and students demonstrated support for Marshall County High School.

Marshall canceled its basketball games Tuesday after the shooting that left two 15-year-old students dead and 14 wounded by gunfire, but the games went on throughout the rest of the state.

Moments of silence were held before most matchups, including McCracken County High School’s game against Carlisle County.

Marshall County High School shooting: Western Kentucky athletes, students unite for Marshall | Lexington Herald Leader

Moment of silence at Pendleton County last night.

We did the same at Garrard/Lincoln last night. I don't know what to say or do that would make things better but I know as a school teacher and parent of an elementary student it weighed very heavily on my mind all day.

We did the same at Garrard/Lincoln last night. I don't know what to say or do that would make things better but I know as a school teacher and parent of an elementary student it weighed very heavily on my mind all day.

I also thought immediately about my granddaughters. Our school system has done a good job on safety and security but you just never know.

Moment of silence last night from Bracken County. It’s a lot different when a tragedy like this happens in your home state. I don’t mean to get off topic here but I would assume MC school and sports will be cancelled for 1 or 2 weeks?

My guess is games scheduled for this weekend will be played.

Moment of silence last night from Bracken County. It’s a lot different when a tragedy like this happens in your home state. I don’t mean to get off topic here but I would assume MC school and sports will be cancelled for 1 or 2 weeks?

I'd imagine there will be an investigation that ties up the school building. They might not be allowed to go back to school until next week.

Regarding sports, I noticed the canceled last night's game (obviously) and I'd guess they'll sit out the rest of the week. I bet when they return to play there will be a very big, very supportive crowd, as it should be.