It's 5 O'clock Somewhere Randomness: Drier Exhaust

Wireman

It's late, I'm feeling good and I just saw a topic that seemed interesting.

I just read and article that you can buy an adapter to put on your drier hose and actually point it inside your home to reduce heating costs.

Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? Is is safe? Does it work?

February looks to be a brute of a month weather wise and it would be nice to save a few dollars on what will surely be a big electric bill.

Any thoughts? Anyone heard of this? Tried it?

First, if you have a gas drier, you don’t want to do this, as the exhaust vent is also the combustion vent, and you don’t want those contents (carbon monoxide) venting in your house.

As far as electric driers, I imagine you could do this, but still I think there are more issues than it’s worth. One is figuring out where to direct the exhaust to get the most effectiveness. Second, drier exhaust is full of moisture and while some moisture is good, too much is a problem too, and you have no way to control the amount of moisture being added. And while those adapters filter the dust, I still think it could aggravate allergies, not mention adding to the amount of dust that collects on surfaces. Also, I don’t think driers generate enough BTU’s efficiently to make a huge savings. Driers aren’t the most energy efficient machines. Finally, you’d have to bypass the system in the summertime, likely manually.

I have had a lakehouse for two years at Lake Cumberland. We have been renting boats when we go out. I don't want to buy a boat at this time or maybe ever, but thought I would lease one.

To my surprise, you can't lease one around here anyway. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but am. So I guess I'll eep on renting. It is expensive to do that in peak times, but not wanting to buy one, I have no other options that I can determine.

I have had a lakehouse for two years at Lake Cumberland. We have been renting boats when we go out. I don't want to buy a boat at this time or maybe ever, but thought I would lease one.

To my surprise, you can't lease one around here anyway. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but am. So I guess I'll eep on renting. It is expensive to do that in peak times, but not wanting to buy one, I have no other options that I can determine.

:idunno:

We do have a premium Random thread.

Two potential issues - lint dust and concentrated moisture causing mold problems. Tried this in a rental property where there was not a good path for venting to the outside. When into a unfinished basement. So the lint dust that still escaped was not a problem and the extra moisture was easily vented. Would not recommend having this vent into a finished living area.

This is not an uncommon practice in the far north. It is not something you would do year round. Maybe mid December to mid March. I've never noticed any ill effects from it.

- It does add moisture to the house, but humidity is down those months.

- The lint catchers work fairly well.

- Our garage is under our house. I vent mine into a lint trap in the garage during the winter. The days we do laundry the heat doesn't run as much.

If I was by myself I would vent it in the house. MrsC doesn't like it, no particular reason, she just doesn't think it sounds right.

I would think people with bad allergies could be affected by it.

This is not an uncommon practice in the far north. It is not something you would do year round. Maybe mid December to mid March. I've never noticed any ill effects from it.

- It does add moisture to the house, but humidity is down those months.

- The lint catchers work fairly well.

- Our garage is under our house. I vent mine into a lint trap in the garage during the winter. The days we do laundry the heat doesn't run as much.

If I was by myself I would vent it in the house. MrsC doesn't like it, no particular reason, she just doesn't think it sounds right.

I would think people with bad allergies could be affected by it.

If you were by yourself, do you think you'd be doing enough laundry for this to really make a difference??

I just think there are better, more efficient ways to accomplish the same thing, without the drawbacks. For example, getting a whole home humidifier installed solves the moisture problem more efficiently, and with more control over the humidity level, and only cost a few hundred bucks to have installed.

If you were by yourself, do you think you'd be doing enough laundry for this to really make a difference??

I just think there are better, more efficient ways to accomplish the same thing, without the drawbacks. For example, getting a whole home humidifier installed solves the moisture problem more efficiently, and with more control over the humidity level, and only cost a few hundred bucks to have installed.

Like I said. It is not that uncommon of a practice. Otherwise everybody and their brother would not be selling the kits.

I have used them and know that they do make a difference. Have you?

You are speculating that they would create problems. Do you indeed know that they would?

We're not talking about a primary source of heat here. We're talking about benefiting from a process that you are already going to do. The kit is $15. It would pay for itself.

Like I said. It is not that uncommon of a practice. Otherwise everybody and their brother would not be selling the kits.

I have used them and know that they do make a difference. Have you?

You are speculating that they would create problems. Do you indeed know that they would?

We're not talking about a primary source of heat here. We're talking about benefiting from a process that you are already going to do. The kit is $15. It would pay for itself.

I realize this isn't uncommon. And I will freely admit, I haven't used one. But I did do some research when we re-did our laundry room. And as I've stated, in my opinion, the potential drawbacks (not being able to control the amount of moisture and lint) outweigh the potential benefits. Those drawbacks aren't speculation. Dryer exhaust is very, very moist, and full of lint, some of which is not filterable.

I realize this isn't uncommon. And I will freely admit, I haven't used one. But I did do some research when we re-did our laundry room. And as I've stated, in my opinion, the potential drawbacks (not being able to control the amount of moisture and lint) outweigh the potential benefits. Those drawbacks aren't speculation. Dryer exhaust is very, very moist, and full of lint, some of which is not filterable.

I agree with you that I would never plan a dryer without outdoor venting. Indoor venting is not a year round alternative.