Technical vs. Warning

A friend texted me this from the Highlands vs. Dixie game. His description will have to do and it makes the general point. Dixie's head coach was "losing his mind" over a call (repeatedly, apparently) and the ref blows his whistle and assesses him with a warning. Highlands' head coach, later in the game, is "yelling about as much as the Dixie coach, minus the theatrics" and gets a technical without a warning. I saw a warning given at a game earlier this year but nothing happen after that. Without excess to a National Federation rule book anymore, someone help me understand this. Is it a MLB-like rule that a warning applies to both benches? Is it up to the judgment of the refs whether to assess a warning or a technical? Given this description, was this poor officiating?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An official warning, new this year, is to be noted in the scorebook. However as JQ said it’s not a prerequisite for giving an immediate T. An example would be a personal attack not a comment about a call non call would probably lead to an immediate technical.

Intentional?? They shoot free throws and get the ball back?

It may have been called intentional. Dixie got 2 free throws and the ball is correct. There was a few confusing things that went on during the game to myself. The game was hard fought both sides, crowd kinda got into it.

It is a new rule. A ref can give you a warning or he can go straight to the t. A warning does not apply to both unless it is given to both coaches.

Seems pointless. Before, they would just walk up to you and say, "Coach, that's enough" and you knew to stop or you were going to get one.

Dixie coach is totally out of hand all the time. How Kenton even allows his behavior along with his past history is totally beyond me.

I don’t believe Listerman got a technical. I may have missed it. The free throws late in the game was for the flagrant on the layup.

My friend had less than flattering things to say about the Dixie coach but I have not seen him personally. He believed that he should have received a "T" the time he was warned and then if the warning meant anything, then he should have received one several other times.

I was told that Listerman did receive a "T" and there was a separate play with an intentional foul as well.

My friend had less than flattering things to say about the Dixie coach but I have not seen him personally. He believed that he should have received a "T" the time he was warned and then if the warning meant anything, then he should have received one several other times.

I was told that Listerman did receive a "T" and there was a separate play with an intentional foul as well.

The Dixie coach at Highlands was mild compared to the end of the Scott/Dixie @ NKU last nite. Hope he doesn’t drink add that to the situation could get really bad.

Your friend is spot on about the Dixie coach.

The Dixie coach at Highlands was mild compared to the end of the Scott/Dixie @ NKU last nite. Hope he doesn’t drink add that to the situation could get really bad.

Your friend is spot on about the Dixie coach.

Who is this guy and where did he come from?