So what is an "offer"?

Jo-Jo13

Is an offer when the coaches say they want you on the team??

Is an offer when they give you a full scholarship?

Is an offer when they say they want you on the team but do not have a scholarship?

What about if you get a letter and they say "wanted to let you know that, after watching your film and reviewing your academic credentials, you are the exact type of student-athlete that we want here at..." or "You have been identified as a potential recruit for us in our 2019 class and our staff is very excited to begin the recruiting process with you!"

To me an offer is when the football coach actually offers you a scholarship. When a coach expresses interest it is definitely not an offer. When a coach says he thinks you will fit in nicely at our school, that still is not an offer. An offer is when the coach tells you he is offering you a scholarship and is waiting to hear if you say yes or no.

"Offer" is when there is a scholarship offered to a prospect.

"Preferred walk-on" is when there is some kind of guarantee extended by the coach that the prospect will make the team, despite not having a scholarship to offer to the prospect.

"Interest" is when a coach tells a prospect that they want you on their team.

An offer is just that an offer. Means nothing until December 21st or Feb 7th. Maybe even later with “Over Signings” and Grey Shirts. I’m learning this the hard way.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you have a backup option. If not, you probably need to reach out to schools and let them know what's going on. Maybe another school will make more of a commitment to you

An offer is just that an offer. Means nothing until December 21st or Feb 7th. Maybe even later with “Over Signings” and Grey Shirts. I’m learning this the hard way.

A lot of times it is a chess match. They are looking for the best player and the athlete is looking for the school that best fits him. Sometimes a verbal commit after an offer is made might help secure the deal?

A lot of times it is a chess match. They are looking for the best player and the athlete is looking for the school that best fits him. Sometimes a verbal commit after an offer is made might help secure the deal?

We verbally committed my son, but unfortunately he was hit with an injury bug. Had to have some surgery. Schools don't like bringing kids in to recover on the clock. So they like to delay their eligibility as much as possible. Give them time to recover, Physical Therapy. Then give them an extra year on the back end of their college career when they are obviously playing their best football. I get it. Just a hard pill to swallow for a 17 year old kid.

We verbally committed my son, but unfortunately he was hit with an injury bug. Had to have some surgery. Schools don't like bringing kids in to recover on the clock. So they like to delay their eligibility as much as possible. Give them time to recover, Physical Therapy. Then give them an extra year on the back end of their college career when they are obviously playing their best football. I get it. Just a hard pill to swallow for a 17 year old kid.

Bummer. Did they pull the offer or did they want him to attend with no scholly and go a 5th year?

Sorry that your son is finding it out the hard way. Hope things work out and he's put in the best possible situation. I have one who may be about to get into that race. Hope he enjoys the ride, I don't think Dad will.

For starters I would like to say that I’m sure I speak for all in wishing your son the best in his recovery.

Do you mind if I ask the level of schools that are recruiting him? The injuries?