Shorty Cager has been cleared

Last year he was probably the most impressive performer during the season. I've watched his brother and him play since they were younger and they are fun to watch on the court, so I'm a biased Cager fan haha

He's probably the 3rd or on some days 2nd best player in the region. Can handle the ball and run the floor with lighting speed, he's a pest to deal with on defense, and has deep range from 3 (40%+ from 3 last year). Adding him to a lineup can take pressure of the injured players for Hoptown and give them an elite scorer to run with Tandy and Ware. Hoptown is a very deep team if they have Johnson, Nicolas, Tolliver, and Govan all healthy too. The freshman point guard in his place, Watts, now gives them a great option of the bench too. Also, it will be interesting to see if time is on their side for chemistry.

Edited by theguru
Rule 9

So he hasn’t played all season? If so, their record makes more sense now.

It was a complicated matter with the school board and their policies. The KHSAA and the school have him cleared, it was the School Board that ruled him ineligible right before he season.

They've also been without Jalen Johnson and 2-4 other starters/rotation guys with injuries too.

Edited by theguru
Rule 9

9. No discussion of ANY criminal behavior (charged or uncharged) in the high school forums. Discussion of adult criminal behavior is permitted in all non-high school forums. However, discussion of criminal behavior by juveniles (anyone under 18) is never permitted anywhere on BGP.

Considering that Hopkinsville has 12 games left, it may be enough for them to get their chemistry to make a run. On paper, they are no doubt the best team in Region 2 when healthy. But we also know the best team doesn't always win, especially in Region 2.

I'm my eyes Hopkinsville is the favorite to win the region now. This Hopkinsville team has limped through the first half of the season and as soon as they're all healthy and playing I think they're probably a top 15 team in the state.

I think the worry was their bench depth beyond their 4 top guys, but this stretch has helped them build some solid depth and give their role players confidence to be on the court. They've also played a pretty tough schedule.

The issue isn't talent with hoptown. They've been talented without Cager. The issue is the turmoil going on because of this situation along with others.

Their game at Madisonville was a great illustration of this. They had everybody in that game. They looked awful. Adding cager to an already toxic environment may not help things. There are parents who are NOT happy with how Coach Haworth handled this... How he handles him coming back into the team will be VERY important... The kids and parents are watching.

So is Johnson healthy?

He missed the Warren Central game because of the flu. He is not 100%, probably closer to 70% or so. He is playing limited minutes in games when he does play. Not sure why he is even playing if not mostly healed. Although he did put up 24 points in 20 minutes in his first game back. But he hasn't been on the floor that long in any game since.

He missed the Warren Central game because of the flu. He is not 100%, probably closer to 70% or so. He is playing limited minutes in games when he does play. Not sure why he is even playing if not mostly healed. Although he did put up 24 points in 20 minutes in his first game back. But he hasn't been on the floor that long in any game since.

Thanks.....that is very sad.

From what I was told, his injury requires a minutes limit to build back up strength. If you recall, he went through a similar injury last Christmas and it took a bit for him to be back at full strength.