Seeding for Semifinals

Board of control voted to seed the substate playoff games. 1 vs 4, 3 vs 4.

what is everyone's opinion ?

From the Courier journal :

Under the proposal, the four teams that reach the state semifinals in each class would be seeded, with No. 1 hosting No. 4 and No. 2 hosting No. 3 in the semifinals on Thanksgiving weekend. KHSAA commissioner Julian Tackett said some combination of the Courier Journal Litkenhous Ratings, the Lexington Herald-Leader’s Cantrall Ratings and MaxPreps.com ratings could be used to seed the semifinalists.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Courier Journal Litkenhous Ratings are used...... they better redo the formula.

With as many OOS teams as Trinity has been forced to schedule in recent years whatever formula they use needs to take that into consideration. As big a hit as Trinity’s Lit Rating took when their 4th string game up a TD to JTown proves this. and I still feel like if they are going to seed this they need to seed the whole thing.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of those computer rankings doing this, although most of the time I'd say ordering the teams 1-4 in semi-state is pretty easy by the eye test. I'm more leery of this opening the door for other things, and I don't trust most computer ratings for this task.

If the Courier Journal Litkenhous Ratings are used...... they better redo the formula.

I agree.

One of the first things that would need to be upgraded/included is "Time of Running Clock."

In other words, at what point in the game does a team put a running clock on their opponent. The sooner you do it the more you are rewarded.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of those computer rankings doing this, although most of the time I'd say ordering the teams 1-4 in semi-state is pretty easy by the eye test. I'm more leery of this opening the door for other things, and I don't trust most computer ratings for this task.

I don't think there is any fair/accurate way to do it. Alabama just won the National Championship as a #4 seed and Ohio State did the same thing a couple of years ago. Additionally, Clemson was clearly the worst of the four teams in the College playoffs and they were a #1 seed.

And the last thing we want is the Government (remember the KHSAA is authorized and supervised by the Kentucky Department of Education) deciding the seeding.

Also, when it comes to 6A, Trinity and St. Xavier are 1 and 2 every year until some other school steps up. Currently only Male may have a shot at that considering Scott County is moving down.

So, if you are going to seed, and you already know Trinity and St. Xavier are your best two teams each year, but the KHSAA forces Trinity and St. Xavier to play each other in the postseason before the semi-final round, the whole seeding idea is a total sham.

On the other side of the coin, if Trinity and St. Xavier are 1 and 2 LIKE THEY SHOULD BE at least 4 out of 5 years, that is some tough sledding for the rest of 6A.

Lots and lots of cart before the horse stuff KHSAA.