Cooper style of play bad for basketball

Great article in Lex-Herald this morning. Could a mod link it to this thread. In short, the Jags have lowest offensive output (63 ppg) of top 20 teams in the state. At the same time they are allowing sub-50 points per game. Only thing that matters to them is dictating the game is played the way they want. Dictating victories sounds good to me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not always exciting, but to say it's bad for basketball is quite a stretch.

To counter that, I have been impressed with Cooper's defense on numerous occasions, and sometimes it's easy to get excited about watching them keep people from scoring.

This was a terrible headline. If you read the article it mentions a school from out of state that they played at Lexington Catholic said the style was bad basketball. Nobody in the state of Kentucky that has any sense thinks that way. I've never met a coach or fan that thinks Cooper is bad for basketball. The article should've had a different headline.

I read this article yesterday and thought is was very good. Offense, which is the staple for most teams, is secondary for Cooper. What many don't understand is that Cooper teams tend not have multiple major scoring threats or bigs so they focus on playing tough hard-nose defense to make up for it. They are more than content to keep games in 60s and below. They just do what works for them.

I don't think it's bad for basketball.....but please don't try to sell it as exciting or fun to watch. The object is to win the game, if that's their philosophy then great....but there is nothing exciting about watching 30-45 seconds of physical, bruising defense in basketball.

I saw Cooper and Covington Catholic each play four games. They play the way the game is to be played...great defense and execution, execution, execution on offence. One of those teams will be a factor in the State Tournament...barring injury.

Teams that play offensively with talent (speed, pressing etc.) and don't run set offences without discipline will have a problem with these teams.

I read this article yesterday and thought is was very good. Offense, which is the staple for most teams, is secondary for Cooper. What many don't understand is that Cooper teams tend not have multiple major scoring threats or bigs so they focus on playing tough hard-nose defense to make up for it. They are more than content to keep games in 60s and below. They just do what works for them.

Last year Cooper had 2 very good offensive players in Kunkel and McNeil. Most high school teams would be very lucky to have 2 players with their offensive abilities. Also, several other kids on the team could score the ball. Their coach, who does a great job, just seems to be more comfortable playing a game with limited possessions. I don't think any coach would say Cooper's defense, offensive execution, hustle etc. is bad for the game!! The coach in question was frustrated Cooper didn't want to play up tempo with his team but he knew going in what Cooper was going to do and should have adjusted his game plan!