Fern Creek 52 Bullitt East 50

Fern Creek is tightrope walking.

Yes, it seems like since the KOB they have not got back in gear. Last Friday was a bad outing against Manual with a 2 point victory. 1st round in the LIT against Southern was better, but not great. Tonight was just a grind, several factors including......

>Bullitt East's Luke Ezell was outstanding with 31 points

>Ahmad Price for Fern Creek wore 3 different jerseys #s due to his own blood loss from two different injuries. Once from a hit in the nose on a drive to the rim and another time on a rebound from an elbow that split his forehead open. He seemed bothered as he had an off shooting night.

> Anthony Wales was fouled on a drive to the rim early in the 2nd quarter and came down on a foot rolling his ankle. He never returned and is questionable for the Doss game.

But they gutted out a win even with the adversity and in the LIT you just want to win and advance for the next round. The Tigers were led by Tony Rogers with 14 and Clint Wickliffe also scored in double figures with 13.

FC has played a lot basketball. Complacency, boredom might be setting in with teams that they know they should have no problem beating. Traits of a young team so it's a little bit surprising. I'm not worried about FC though, they will be there in the end.

I don't know of any major controversy. A couple of teams playing without some key players because of injury, but that's basketball. Apparently the Bullitt East coach was ejected at the end of its game, but I have not heard much controversy about that. Seems like it has been a great tournament so far.

But to answer your question, I think you can opt out but you then are disqualified from participating the following year. I think Bullitt East opted out a few years ago and this is the rule that was adopted. That is, if my memory serves me right.

I don't know of any major controversy. A couple of teams playing without some key players because of injury, but that's basketball. Apparently the Bullitt East coach was ejected at the end of its game, but I have not heard much controversy about that. Seems like it has been a great tournament so far.

But to answer your question, I think you can opt out but you then are disqualified from participating the following year. I think Bullitt East opted out a few years ago and this is the rule that was adopted. That is, if my memory serves me right.

The only controversy (if that is what you want to define it as) would be after the game had ended Bullitt East Coach (Jason Couch) was yelling at the ref who blew the whistle on a traveling violation before the final shot attempt to tie the score.

The player was in the motion of shooting and the shot did not go in so the game would have ended had not a whistle was blown. Perhaps the Coach wanted a foul in lieu of a traveling call. But that ref then walked over to the scorer's table and made sure to note a technical was given. As the ref was at the scorers table Coach Couch went over there still giving the ref an earful and since he was close to the microphone of the public address system could be heard throughout the gym.

It was sort of funny but at the same time Coach Couch was probably a bit embarrassed that the words were blast over the entire gym even though he was yelling at the ref pretty loud regardless. He is a great coach with a lot of passion and stuff happens like that to the best of coaches. The game was not well called for either team. It seemed one ref was calling all close calls Bullitt East way and then another started feeling that he needed to even the calls giving more Fern Creek way. The third ref seemed to be the one in the middle, but he was the one who made the final travel call and technical after the game was over oddly enough.

Injuries are part of every team's drama this time of the year especially. Fern Creek had Price with two different injuries in the game that shed blood requiring multiple jersey changes and Wales goes down early in the 2nd quarter and never returns with an ankle injury that will keep him sidelined for a week or two likely. But they are not what you would call controversial, just the technical at the end may have been.

My thoughts going into this game, is that Fern Creek would simply overpower BE, or atleast sort of glide to a comfy win. But what came to fruition was the one advantage that East has...The most valued player on the court is the point guard! And East has maybe the most underrated PG in the state. Luke Ezell controlled this game when the ball was in his hands, you can see there is a different feel when he has possession. Keep your eye on this kid!

No disrespect but Luke isn't underestimated to most that know. He is a very good ball player, he played that way last season. My surprise was that the FC guards collectively couldn't slow him down.

Yes, for those that have watched Luke for any period of time, he is a great competitor who is very good at controlling a game. I was not surprised at all, but I do think he is underrated if you have not seen him play. He can flat out play.

Fern Creek has a good defense and rotate a lot of people, but nobody could slow him down that night. I was looking forward to him and Wales for Fern Creek going at it all game as they are two of the best PGs in the 6th. Wales never came back after injuring his ankle in the 2nd qtr, but there is a regular season rematch coming sometime in January and they will play likely in the district final. Luke was not on the court alone obviously, but for Bullitt East to beat Fern Creek he needs that kind of game where he just goes off like he did.