Open Job: Grant County

theguru

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming he wasn't possibly jumping the gun and stepping down to go after the Campbell County job, the only other current head coach openings that are relatively geographically close to Grant Count are Newport, Lex Cath and Tates Creek. Is he looking to take one of those three positions, or is Coach Dalzell stepping away from head coaching for the time being?

Assuming he wasn't possibly jumping the gun and stepping down to go after the Campbell County job, the only other current head coach openings that are relatively geographically close to Grant Count are Newport, Lex Cath and Tates Creek. Is he looking to take one of those three positions, or is Coach Dalzell stepping away from head coaching for the time being?

I haven't talked to Coach Dalzell yet, but I feel comfortable saying he stepped down as the Head Coach of Grant Co. What other doors open or dont in the future are TBD.

I think I agree but please explain.

From a distance viewpoint of what I see and hear:

Administration has a part in it

Parents have a larger part in it.

With the parents it's a tricky thing. See most of the parents of players on the HS and MS teams, either did not play for Grant themselves in the past, or not from Grant Co (transplants), so there is not the overall understanding of the history of Grant Co. (now most of you will say what history, they havent really won anything, that's kinda the point I am making.)

The Transplant parents, that did play football, come from programs that have had significantly more success than Grant, so the expectations are higher (not a bad thing except...) that the reality cant meet the expectations.

Now what I hear is that parents would pull kids from offseason activities, not bring kids to practice, heck some not show up to games (players and parents). That makes it difficult to succeed as a program.

It is unfortunate for the kids that are busting it, doing what they need to do, and yet still short on the talent side, and scoreboard side of the scale, that as a team they can't get over the hurdle so to speak.

I can sum it up this way, I had a conversation in Walmart with a parent of a HS player in November about the situation. This parent was adamant that the decision to not play in the district affected the psyche of the players for the whole season. I told the parent how would have playing those 3 district opponents helped the situation, when 2 of the opponents would have score 60 on you and the other one could have. Instead you got beat by Anderson Co 43-8, you lost to Mason Co 28-8, and probably should have beating an Aiken Ohio team, but lost 24-16. What is better for the psyche. He told me where to go and walked away from me.

Ive talked to a large portion of the alumni from the early days of the program (program began in 1992.) Everybody has this idea and that idea, but the one thing that is agreed upon is that Grant Co back then, and Grant Co now are two different animals. Both in the county itself, and the school itself.

I graduated from Grant and will always support them , but there is no reasonable explanation why your school has grown the way it has in the last 25 years and your sports teams have gotten weaker and weaker. So yes my thinking is there are problems somewhere in this system.

I graduated from Grant and will always support them , but there is no reasonable explanation why your school has grown the way it has in the last 25 years and your sports teams have gotten weaker and weaker. So yes my thinking is there are problems somewhere in this system.

Truth be told, one of the biggest reasons is the loss of the farm community. Back in the day, a lot of the farm boys played football. After practice we would all go to someone's farm and help on the farm with this and that, and were farm strong as they like to say. That's a large part in how we were able to hang around and win vs the Anderson Co, Montgomery Co, Franklin Co, Madison Southern, Owen Co, Henry Co, Harrison Co, Lincoln Co back in the day.