Patriots on the Brink?

Beginning of the End for New England?

Two weeks before the Nov. 1 trading deadline, Belichick met with Kraft to discuss the quarterback situation. According to staffers, the meeting ran long, lasting half the day and pushing back Belichick's other meetings. The office was buzzing. The meeting ended with a clear mandate to Belichick: trade Garoppolo because he would not be in the team's long-term plans, and then, once again, find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him. Belichick was furious and demoralized, according to friends. But in the end, he did what he asks of his players and coaches: He did his job. One morning in late October, Belichick texted San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan and asked him to call. Belichick had long admired Kyle's father, Mike, who not only had been one of the NFL's smartest tacticians but had also personally defended Belichick to commissioner Roger Goodell during the Spygate scandal. At the combine this past February, Kyle, weeks into the 49ers job after being the offensive coordinator for the Falcons, met with Belichick for hours to learn from his team's humiliating Super Bowl loss. Belichick believed that Garoppolo would excel under Shanahan, and when he and Shanahan connected on the phone, Belichick offered the quarterback for a second-rounder.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. It's an outstanding read, and one that Patriots fans have quietly known was coming at some point. Not a fan of the timing, but it is what it is.

I am not sure this is all it seems to be. In their time, I would imagine they've had many heated discussions. Two huge egos that want to win. They both need each other. Kraft can't find a better coach and BB will never find an owner that gives him this much power. Nor will BB find another Brady. Jimmy G. may develop into a good one, but I doubt Brady.