College Football Conference Discussion

Jumper_Dad

Since SOME of you can't help put bring up Conferences in EVERY single thread, let's try to use this thread to discuss them instead of hijacking game or prediction threads.

Which Conference is the best? Are they all Crap? Or does no one care about conferences?

xrjSRlSI.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SEC is the best, IMO.

I posted this in another thread but will move it here:

I mean 9 teams played in bowl games.

And people will point to the bowl record but here's the thing...SEC teams seem to get matched up with higher ranked teams from other conferences. Example: how does 9-win Northwestern get stuck in the Music City Bowl with 7-win Kentucky? And Kentucky really could have and possibly should have won the game. Without a ref who took it upon himself to ruin the game, Kentucky probably does win.

LSU lost on a miraculous catch and run by Notre Dame that really should have been offensive pass interference.

Auburn had a great chance but threw two ridiculously bad passes in the 4th quarter.

Mississippi State beat Louisville.

Missouri had a miraculous turn around to even make a bowl. That was success in their eyes, IMO.

Not sure how Texas A&M lost but that was a 3-point game.

South Carolina beat Michigan.

I mean...that's not bad at all. To say the SEC is trash is...well...trash.

I think all conferences shape up the same. A couple very good teams, 4-5 decent to good teams, then the rest mediocre to bad teams. Using the SEC as an example I would have:

Very Good GA and Bama

Good Auburn, LSU, MS, SC

Somewhere between mediocre and decent KY, A&M, MO

Bad-Ark, TN, FL, Ole Miss, Vandy

Im an avid SEC fan, but I felt the SEC was a little down this year overall. Yet to have 2 playing for the title is great obviously. Still, I felt like there was as much parity across the board this year in overall conferences from a strength stand point as I have witnessed in a while.

I think the Big 10 and SEC were pretty even this year and could even see the argument for the Big 10. What I do think is different this year from most is no conference seems to have strength from top to bottom. It seems most are a couple of really good teams. A few good teams and then a sharp drop off.

The SEC will always be justified as the best on this board, regardless of the situation.

I would certainly hope so. Given that there are so many stats that can be used to justify a top conference opinion I would certainly expect a site in the midst of SEC country to lean towards stats that support the SEC as the best.

I’m not in the business of ranking conferences. The SEC has 2 really good teams, the Big 10 has 2 really good teams, the Big 12 has 1, ACC has 1, PAC 12 has 0. After that pull teams like Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, LSU, Auburn, Miami, TCU, Ok State, Washington, USC, and Stanford out of a hat and it won’t amount to any real difference. Auburn is probably the best of that bunch, but they’re a 4 loss team so how good are they? It doesn’t really matter.