BluegrassPreps.com 12th Region Rankings and Review 1/2/18

12th Region Basketball

Now that the month of December has passed, it is becoming clearer who the top teams are in the 12th Region. Mercer County, Boyle County, and Pulaski County look to be the teams to beat while West Jessamine and Somerset are very close. The 12th Region also has some state leaders in the stats department this year. Steven Fitzgerald leads the state in scoring while Bryce Slone leads the state in 3-point shooting. So take a look at this week’s rankings and see where your team stands after one month of basketball.

12th Region Rankings:

1) Mercer County Titans (10-4) – The Titans have played a brutal schedule thus far this season and have fared well against some of the better teams in the state. They are undefeated in 12th Region play and beat Pulaski County 80-70 in the King of the Bluegrass Tournament right before Christmas. Senior Trevon Faulkner has been lighting it up for the Titans averaging over 27 points per game and has already scored over 350 points in the young season.

This week the Titans go to Wayne County then play Perry County Central at Lincoln County in the Patriot Classic.

2) Boyle County Rebels (8-2) – The Rebels have been playing some good basketball in the first month of the season. Over the holiday break, they won the Gateway Holiday Classic beating Woodford County in the championship 63-59. Senior Bryce Slone has been on fire from behind the arch this month shooting 55.4% and connecting on 46 of 83 from 3-point range. He is the state leader in 3-point shooting. Slone is averaging almost 21 points per game.

This week the Rebels go to Pulaski County then start district play hosting Garrard County.

3) Pulaski County Maroons (8-3) – The Maroons are also playing a very difficult schedule thus far this season. Two of their three losses have come to top five teams in the state. They won the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic last week beating Wayne County in the Championship game 89-71. Senior Steven Fitzgerald is a man on a mission this year! He is the state leader in points per game averaging almost 36 points per game and leading the team in rebounds with over 8 per game.

This week the Maroons host Boyle County then travel to Rockcastle County to continue district play.

4) West Jessamine Colts (9-1) – The Colts are turning some heads this season only losing one game in the month of December. They won both the Graviss McDonald’s Woodford County Invitational and the Henry County Invitational. Senior Dalton Bruner leads the team in scoring with almost 20 points per game. Skyler Cannady and Drew Cook are both averaging over 16 points per game.

The Colts are on the road this week as they travel to North Bullitt and East Jessamine.

5) Somerset Briar Jumpers (13-2) – The Jumpers are off to one of the best starts to the season this decade as they won thirteen games in the month of December. They won the Arby’s/KFC Holiday Classic before Christmas and placed third in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic beating Southwestern 67-60 in the 3rd place game. Senior Kross Grundy is leading the team in scoring with over 20 points per game while freshman Kade Grundy averages 14 points per game.

The Jumpers are at home this week as they host two district foes in Rockcastle County and Casey County.

6) Southwestern Warriors (8-4) – The Warriors were the champions of the Derby Classic at Raceland over the Christmas break and placed 4th in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic. Senior Hunter Stevens has become the go to guy for the Warriors averaging over 25 points per game in the month of December.

This week the Warriors host McCreary County then go to Lincoln County to play University Heights in the Patriot Classic.

7) Wayne County Cardinals (7-6) – The Cardinals struggled earlier this month when they lost star player Jakson Baker in their first game. But he is back now and the Cardinals have won 5 of their last 6 games and were the runner-up at the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic. Wayne County has become a well-balanced team with five players averaging 11 or more points per game in the month of December.

The Cardinals will be playing three games this week as they host both Mercer County and Whitley County before heading to South Laurel to play North Laurel in the Raymond Reed Classic.

8) Lincoln County Patriots (6-8) – The Patriots are a young team this season starting a freshman and an 8th grader. But, that didn’t stop them from being competitive against decent competition in the month of December. The Patriots finished the month winning the last two games in the Campbellsville High School Holiday Classic over Green County 47-46 and Washington County 47-45. The Patriots have been led in scoring by senior Chase Phillips who is averaging 15 points per game.

Lincoln County has a busy week as they start the new year hosting East Jessamine, travel to Danville to open district play, then return home to play Eastern in the Patriot Classic.

9) McCreary Central Raiders (6-8) – The Raiders started the season strong winning four of the first five games they played. Since then they lost seven of their last nine games. McCreary Central is hoping to get back on course now that 2018 is here.

The Raiders only play one game this week but it is on the road against district rival Southwestern.

10) Danville Admirals (4-8) – The Admirals are a team that has the potential to be very competitive but have yet to find their stride. Now that the new year is here, look for Danville to improve as they get into district play and the All A Classic.

The Admirals host Frankfort and Lincoln County then travel to Casey County for a busy start to 2018.

11) East Jessamine Jaguars (5-10) – The Jaguars started the season with six straight losses but have won five of their last nine games. They beat Harlan 80-77 and Morristown-Hamblen East, TN 71-51 in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic. East Jessamine looks to continue to improve as they start the new year.

This week the Jaguars travel to Lincoln County then host crosstown rival West Jessamine.

12) Rockcastle Rockets (4-8) – The Rockets started the season with four straight losses but have won four of their last eight games to end the month of December. They beat Owen County 70-39 in the Forcht Bank Lynn Camp Classic.

This week the Rockets travel to Somerset then host Pulaski County. They finish off the week at South Laurel playing Clay County in the Raymond Reed Classic.

13) Garrard County Golden Lions (3-10) – after starting the season with only one win, the Golden Lions ended December winning two of their last three games in the Pine Mountain Classic. They beat Williamsburg 73-42 and Pineville 79-41.

This week the Golden Lions host Montgomery County before traveling to Boyle County and George Rogers Clark.

14) Casey County Rebels (0-14) – After losing a lot to graduation the Rebels are having a rebuilding year. The Rebels are still looking to get their first win of the season.

This week the Rebels go to Somerset then host Danville.

15) Burgin Bulldogs (4-7) – The Bulldogs ended December with a win over Silver Grove 56-29.

The Bulldogs are on the road this week as they travel to Rose Hill Christian and Trinity (Whitesville).

16) Kentucky School f/t Deaf Colonels (0-9) – The Colonels did not play over the Christmas holiday and are off until January 5, 2018. They will be hosting the KSD Homecoming Classic.

Boyle County lost to Woodford County in the championship game of the Gateway Holiday Classic but they still had a good showing there last week.

The original score posted on KHSAA was incorrect showing Boyle won 63-59. It has since been revised to show the score correctly.

Woodford 69

Boyle 63

Still a nice recap of the 12th though!:thumb:

Should West Jessamine be #2 or 3? Their only loss is to Mercer Co, and they have a pair of nice wins over Fairdale and @ Woodford Co. They beat Woodford on the road by 25, and then Woodford came back and beat Boyle the next week.

Should West Jessamine be #2 or 3? Their only loss is to Mercer Co, and they have a pair of nice wins over Fairdale and @ Woodford Co. They beat Woodford on the road by 25, and then Woodford came back and beat Boyle the next week.

There’s a great case to be made for them to be #2 or #3 but I wouldn’t have them higher than any of the top 3 teams as of today.

There’s a great case to be made for them to be #2 or #3 but I wouldn’t have them higher than any of the top 3 teams as of today.

Right now I'd throw the top 4 in a fairly balanced group. I've seen all 4 play, and I think each has a decent chance to take the Region. I don't think one stands out yet, but will learn a lot tonight with Boyle-Pulaski and a lot about West in the next couple of weeks when they play LCA, Lex Cath, and Madison Central along with a repeat tilt vs. Mercer at home.

I predicted earlier that West-Mercer will play each other 4 times this year, so will stay with that.

Clearly :lol2:

:lol2:

I saw the score after I posted but I didn't want to go back and edit. I would have had Boyle at #1 going into tonight's game but I'll say Pulaski County now. And I know Mercer beat Pulaski, but in the third game of a holiday tournament where just about anything can happen, I don't put quite as much stock in that result.