Covington Catholic's CJ Fredrick vs. Cooper's Adam Kunkel

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are going to compare, let's talk about their games. What do each of them do best? Is there something one of them does clearly better than the other? How are they on the defensive end? Any weaknesses for either of them? Let's get specific.

Both are long-armed. Kunkel gets the advantage in handle. 3 point shooting is close although CJ had a better summer shooting. Kunkel is quicker and more explosive. CJ gets the slight nod in passing. CJ pull-up game gets the nod. Both are strong at the rim with Kunkel getting the nod. Kunkel is asked to do more and does it well. Both have more "stuff" to their game than folks realize.

In other words , it's a beauty contest. What you think is pretty may be different than what I think is pretty even if we agree both Miss America and Miss Spain are pretty.

Go watch both kids play and enjoy them. They are a joy to watch and it maybe a long time when we have to kids at this level in the region. One thing I notice is Cooper does a great job looking for Adam and Sullivan does a great job with spacing and Giving him total freedom where Frederick competes and sometimes struggles to get ball in Cov Cath offense. Ruthsatz has the ball in his hands more than McNeil and Kunkle has ball more than Frederick. How much of a difference will AJ Mayer make Jan 12? Four games in four days is tough for any team especially during exams traveling from NKY and not staying in Louisville’s. Cov Cath looked gased against Cooper but playing a top Tenn team and Ballard Fern Creek will do that to anyone. Cooper got great draw to light games and blown out by trinity they were either in better shape or fresher.

Edited by Muskie

Have them switch teams and Ruthsatz would have the ball all the time and Frederick would have the ball all the time for Cooper. Both are great players. Sullivan tailors the offense for Kunkle to get shots and make plays. CCH does not for Frederick from what I watched this year. Let the season play out and see. One game where CCH played four games and traveled and Cooper got great draw and blown out by trinity doesn’t tell us much Jan 12 will. I think it’s a draw. The key is McNeil vs Ruthsatz who do you like?

Trinity blows out anyone they play when they shoot 19-29 from the three.

Trinity blows out anyone they play when they shoot 19-29 from the three.

Fern Creek beat Trinity by same amount they beat Cov Cath with Frederick in foul trouble. Cooper didn’t play man and Trinity blew them out. All I’m saying is Cov Cath had a way harder road. Having a healthy AJ Mayer in b-ball shape will be a big help for Cov Cath moving forward. Does Cooper win of Walters get 20? He isn t getting 20 on Mayer.

Go watch both kids play and enjoy them. They are a joy to watch and it maybe a long time when we have to kids at this level in the region. One thing I notice is Cooper does a great job looking for Adam and Sullivan does a great job with spacing and Giving him total freedom where Frederick competes and sometimes struggles to get ball in Cov Cath offense. Ruthsatz has the ball in his hands more than McNeil and Kunkle has ball more than Frederick. How much of a difference will AJ Mayer make Jan 12? Four games in four days is tough for any team especially during exams traveling from NKY and not staying in Louisville’s. Cov Cath looked gased against Cooper but playing a top Tenn team and Ballard Fern Creek will do that to anyone. Cooper got great draw to light games and blown out by trinity they were either in better shape or fresher.

That is spot on! Good luck to both young men class kids represent the region well and have given younger kids a hard work model to follow to become great players. Look forward to following them both rest of their senior years and in college. They should give them Co Mr Basketball IMO. They are clearly the two best seniors in state.