Kentucky Elk Drawing

woodsrider

So the elk drawing will open for entry in a couple of weeks. Who's giving it a go in 2018? I've always said I would never do it in KY as long as they are making residents draw while allowing non-residents to draw. I'm starting to soften on this stance and thinking about putting in for an archery bull tag. I'm not sure my funds will allow it if i were to get selected but that may be one of those things I figure out later. My bucket list #1 hunt is a archery bull elk so I figure I better get busy living.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I have put in for every year of the elk lottery, for what it's worth. I don't see myself changing that up any time soon.

Also, in regards to non-residents getting to put into the lottery, exactly 10% of the tags are given to non-residents each year. Per the head of the KDFWR's elk program, the money charged to non-residents each year for those tags actually funds their annual elk program budget completely, and is what allows them to make the elk hunt as extremely inexpensive for residents as it is.

I drew a cow tag a couple of years back. Absolutely amazing experience. Long story short, I came home empty-handed, but I wouldn't pass on the experience for all the money in the world.

Woodsy, for what it's worth, my guide was under $1000.

That's not bad at all. How many days did he guide you for that?

Always good to know somebody dd734... good luck with the draw to everyone that puts in ... been to Colorado 3 times to bow hunt them , hell of an experience !!!! They keep saying the next world record will come from Kentucky ... I always forget to put in until it’s too late after it went to applying online ...