Christmas shopping: Almost done

Jim Schue

I hate Christmas shopping, mostly because I'm lukewarm about Christmas in general (5 years of working in retail will do that to a person).

But I've gotten a lot better about "getting in the spirit of the season" in recent years, and almost embrace it. Going into today, I had two-thirds of my Christmas shopping done, and I hit the Wal-Mart earlier today to bump that number up a great deal to about 85 percent. Only one left is mom, who I have the worst time with, but I think I have it down for her as well. Only problem is I can't get her gift until I get to my hometown tomorrow and get her gift certificate from the local garden store. I just hope they're open. Fortunately, the people who run it are good friends and will help me out even if they're not open.

This is a record for me to be this "done" with Christmas shopping five days before the actual day. I kind of impressed myself with this one. The timing worked great and everything.

Where you at with your shopping?

I am done and almost all of the gifts are wrapped and stockings are stuffed. I try and buy 1-2 gifts a month during the year and then by Dec. I am finished and all is paid for. By doing this I also buy things on sale and save a lot of money this way. Also not as stressful this way for me anyway. My husband is just the opposite. He waits to the very last minute.

I've noticed that the more crap I buy on line for Christmas, the less Christmas spirit I have. Maybe because I didn't shop in brick and mortar buildings where I see holiday decorations and hear the holiday music this year. Don't have as many holiday gatherings as we used to either. And my shopping was done as of yesterday's FedEx delivery.