Zack Cozart signs with the Angels

JOAT - do you mean that in an "absolute" sense or a "the current market" sense? From an absolute sense, I agree with you. From a "current market" sense, it sounds like a pretty middle of the road deal. Maybe even slightly leaning toward the Angels.

Let's play "what if?" If the Reds had made Cozart a qualifying offer (1 yr., $17.4M), would he have taken that OR the Angels' deal (3 yr., $38M)?

If you think he still signs with the Angels, Reds messed up and lost a compensatory draft pick.

Let's play "what if?" If the Reds had made Cozart a qualifying offer (1 yr., $17.4M), would he have taken that OR the Angels' deal (3 yr., $38M)?

If you think he still signs with the Angels, Reds messed up and lost a compensatory draft pick.

You take the 3 year deal, its guaranteed money.

JOAT - do you mean that in an "absolute" sense or a "the current market" sense? From an absolute sense, I agree with you. From a "current market" sense, it sounds like a pretty middle of the road deal. Maybe even slightly leaning toward the Angels.

In an "absolute" sense. I knew he would command a decent amount of money in "todays" market. I just am not sold on giving a middle of the road talent that amount of money especially if I am in the Reds front office.

I do agree with you however that they should have given him the qualifying offer and at least get something back in return.

Good for Zack. He'll get a chance to play for an organization that can compete in a great climate city. Of course if he buys a house there and pays taxes there he'll be broke in a few years. Just four years ago Anaheim could have had him for a bag of balls when he hit .221 here. He earned that money though with an outstanding year last year and I hope he follows that up.

Everything that is wrong with MLB as it exist today.

The Reds draft the guy in 2007. He is about as totally average as a player can be for years literally hitting near .250 most years. When he finally has a good year the Reds cannot afford to keep him and he is gone.

So kind of makes you think why are small market teams with limited budgets like the Reds even trying? Why are Reds fans even caring, hoping, rooting, worrying? The cycle just repeats with the next group of players. Sure the Reds can keep a Joey Votto or Homer Bailey but it is all the other players they can't keep while other teams have no problem paying them.

Everything that is wrong with MLB as it exist today.

The Reds draft the guy in 2007. He is about as totally average as a player can be for years literally hitting near .250 most years. When he finally has a good year the Reds cannot afford to keep him and he is gone.

So kind of makes you think why are small market teams with limited budgets like the Reds even trying? Why are Reds fans even caring, hoping, rooting, worrying? The cycle just repeats with the next group of players. Sure the Reds can keep a Joey Votto or Homer Bailey but it is all the other players they can't keep while other teams have no problem paying them.

To be fair, he had 1 1/2 good seasons and the other 1/2 he was hurt. Your point, however, is well made. Unless you can get all of the tumblers to line up in a 2-3 yr. window when you

A - have control over young talent that is actually performing rather than "showing potential";

B - have a couple of stars you agreed to pay and haven't gone bust (unlike Homer & Meso);

C - pick some "projects" off the trash heap who actually work out; and

D - rent a couple of players at the All-Star break to help get you over the top, the Reds and other non-large markets will have trouble competing.

This is the recipe the Marlins in the past and the Astros last year used. The question for 2018 and beyond is whether the Astros are a non-large market. If yes, expect them to have to blow it up soon like the Marlins did. Not good for the long term health of the game.