MLS Expansion

DukeDog

This has by far been one of the most nerve-wracking days in my life. Today the MLS Board of Governors met and most likely voted on which two teams would get into the MLS. While there won't be any official announcement until next week, it is almost certain that the winners will be leaked.

Here's the news we have so far:

MLS released a statement regarding expansion. It says they discussed the bids of the four cities and that "League officials and the MLS Expansion Committee will continue to work with the four finalists and plan to have more details shortly." Either they didn't vote today or it's just a "Nothing has changed, keep waiting" kind of thing. Nobody really knows.

An MLS spokesperson unveiled how the teams will be announced. Pretty much they're going to hold an event in the cities they choose.

Enter Miami. MLS Board of Governors approved of Miami's new owners and will make another announcement before the 2018 season. They are expected to begin to play in 2020. I was hoping that MLS would announce Miami is yet again delayed and they bring in 3 teams instead of 2, but that's not happening.

Don't expect an official announcement until next week where they'll have ceremonies for the winning cities. Be on the lookout for leaks.

Also, Pat Brennan is doing a great job today on keeping people up to date. I feel for him, as fans are asking him questions he has either already answered or acting as if they know more than him. Here's the link to his Twitter.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nashville's owners are the Haslem family, right? The same people who own the Browns?

Maybe partially Though the NFL owner’s brother is the governor of Tennessee.

The Wilf family that owns the Vikings are involved in the Nashville MLS bid though.

They had 12 bearded male fans banging a drum and chanting. Nashville is in the USL this season. I hope they play at Nippert.

Man, if FCC doesn't get in this time and Nashville does have to come to Nippert, that will be one energetic game.

Actually, even if FCC gets the bid, people still aren't very fond that Nashville just walked in and stole the show without having to field a professional team.