What schools will see a change in class in the next realignment?

ThrowItDeep

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although there will no doubt be "leaked" versions... I'd say March/April time period we will see the rough draft. Finalized before summer.

Last go-around they released the draft version of the alignment on 04/15/2014. Then they released the official adopted alignment a month later, and they actually had a revision to the adopted alignment a month after that.

If I recall correctly, last time there were several schools who were on the line to go up or down, who had a student population trending in the same direction. I won't be surprised to see a few new faces in new classes, and maybe some old familiar faces returning to where they used to be.

There are quite a few questions that have to be answered before realignment takes place:

-What stipulations is the KHSAA going to put on the new alignment?

-Will teams be allowed to play up as they have in the past?

-If a team plays up, will the smallest team in the above class be forced to move down or will they have a choice (like last time)?

-Will 1A and 6A remain at 32 teams? I know the folks in charge didn't really like three 1A schools having first round byes due to other teams dropping out of district play.

Thats one rumor I wouldn't bet on .... .... .... .... (As far as Beechwood goes anyway).

Using the numbers for the last three years only, Beechwood is the 39th smallest school. Currently, assuming 32 teams are placed in Class 1A and nobody drops the sport, Fort Knox would be the largest school in 1A. After Fort Knox (average 190), shown with their three-year average:

33. Newport Central Catholic - 190.3

34. Betsy Layne - 192

35. Covington Holy Cross - 197

36. Middlesboro - 202.3

37. Owensboro Catholic - 208.7

38. Newport - 209.7

39. Beechwood - 211

I can't envision a situation where Beechwood doesn't move up.

Looking at trends, which is always tough with military schools, Fort Knox added a whole lot of students in 2016-17. If they do the same this year while Newport Central Catholic continues their downward enrollment trend, I could certainly foresee those two switching. You'd also have to factor in declining enrollment at Betsy Layne and whether Covington Holy Cross is as affecting by lowering enrollment as their Catholic brethren in Campbell County.