10 Good Jobs

GCHS

Some of the discussions about job openings brought to mind something a few coaches have said to me, over the years:

"There are really only about 10 good jobs in the state, the rest you have to MAKE good jobs."

So, I ask BGP, what are the 10 jobs in the state that are "good" jobs - where even an average coach would be successful (W-L, NOT fan expectations)?

My attempt, in no particular order. I kind of petered-out at 7:

1) Trinity

2) Bowling Green

3) St. X

4) Male

5) CovCath

6) Highlands

7) Belfry???

Boyle County

Historically that hasn't been correct. Boyle has had several really successful coaches and several unsuccessful (judging strictly by wins and losses). Just looking at recent history, the coach who replaced Chuck Smith when he went to UK had two years that weren't great and the Boyle fans were very restless. The next coach, Larry French, had a proven track record and was very successful. Obviously Smith has returned and done well again. Boyle's program is at a point that they'll have plenty of good applicants when Smith retires but are they to a point where anyone can walk in there and win? We'll have to wait and see.

I forgot Beechwood...

I don't know if there are any county schools I would add. Boyle is as close as you can get, I suppose - but there will still be fluctuations in talent.

I would argue that Danville is similar - they have ebbs & flows. Even Sam Harp had a 4 win regular season, there. If a coach as top notch as Coach Harp can lose 7 games, then I wouldn't say it was a "cruise" control kind of job.

I don't know if there are any county schools I would add. Boyle is as close as you can get, I suppose - but there will still be fluctuations in talent.

A lot of people assume differently, but Belfry is a county school. Along with Pike Central, Phelps, East Ridge and Shelby Valley, Belfry is just one of 5 high schools in the Pike County School District.

And technically wouldn't Male fall into the same category with JCPS?

A lot of people assume differently, but Belfry is a county school. Along with Pike Central, Phelps, East Ridge and Shelby Valley, Belfry is just one of 5 high schools in the Pike County School District.

I think he meant "county school" in the sense that it was the only school in that district.

Just my opinion but I don't think any program can have a head coach or assistants that just sit back and take it easy. In order to play at a high level you need everybody doing their part. Some are in better shape with Admin. and support from QB club and community that is for sure. But I have always prided myself on putting in the time above and beyond what some might think I should. Our assistant coaches do as well. I think the off the field work and off season are critical areas. Merry Christmas coaches.

I think he meant "county school" in the sense that it was the only school in that district.
You are both right, of course on Male.

Belfry is the epitome of the term county school, and when I included them I just added Male as an afterthought because I figured somebody would point out that they are technically one.

You are both right, of course on Male.

Belfry is the epitome of the term county school, and when I included them I just added Male as an afterthought because I figured somebody would point out that they are technically one.

Did you just quote yourself and, in the third person, tell yourself you are right?

Not being judgmental, just clarifying for a friend. lol