East Tennessee State 84 Northern Kentucky 71

swamprat

Not bad, just questionable. I don't like sitting a player with 2 fouls for the entire first half. I get it, a lot of coaches do it but not the best player on the team, on the road, while your team's deficit slowly increases throughout the half. What good does he do you when he comes back in and you're down 18?

Not bad, just questionable. I don't like sitting a player with 2 fouls for the entire first half. I get it, a lot of coaches do it but not the best player on the team, on the road, while your team's deficit slowly increases throughout the half. What good does he do you when he comes back in and you're down 18?

It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't scenario. You put him back in and he gets a third foul and now you're really behind the eight ball. Also, the way a game is called may have influenced the decision as well. If they're calling lots of ticky-tacks or it's a super physical game underneath, probably not worth the risk.

I get what you're saying, but I'd have made the same decision in that situation.

It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't scenario. You put him back in and he gets a third foul and now you're really behind the eight ball. Also, the way a game is called may have influenced the decision as well. If they're calling lots of ticky-tacks or it's a super physical game underneath, probably not worth the risk.

I get what you're saying, but I'd have made the same decision in that situation.

Right, I get it. Just don't like that mindset. Had he picked up the third in the first half, then you got all you could have out of him in that half. Maybe he plays the last 8 minutes and doesn't pick up his third. Totally different if they hang around and stay with 3 or 4 the rest of the half. Game was essentially over at half and your best player played 70 seconds. Like I said, see it all the time, just don't like it.

He picked up 2 fouls within the first minute or two and sat. That's not bad coaching, that's just bad luck.

Wouldn't call it bad luck. The first foul was questionable and the second one was simply a phantom call. Very inconsistent officiating the whole game, both ways, but taking McDonald out in the first minute with 2 ticky-tack fouls doomed the Norse.

You can sit your leading scorer if your still in the game in the first half but they were getting blown out and having trouble scoring. It's not a crime to foul out and you can't saved them for the next game so what's the deal. I take a chance with my best players with no regrets.