Lack of close, competitive games in state finals!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No nailbiters, coming down to the last drive games, anticlimactic.

How does the KHSAA get this right? Year after year of blow outs in all classifications in the state finals

It is what it is.

You can't fault excellent state champions for winning, and winning big. Danville was never challenged in the playoffs and I personally don't think anybody in 2A would have this year.

Same with Cov Cath.

Boyle and Etown was a battle but sometimes it's the semi-finals where the best game may play out. I recall in Boyle's first run that the best game for many years was the semi-final vs Hoptown.

It is what it is.

You can't fault excellent state champions for winning, and winning big. Danville was never challenged in the playoffs and I personally don't think anybody in 2A would have this year.

Same with Cov Cath.

Boyle and Etown was a battle but sometimes it's the semi-finals where the best game may play out. I recall in Boyle's first run that the best game for many years was the semi-final vs Hoptown.

Yep sometimes the semifinal is the best game. FS vs. Collins would have been one of the best state finals in a while.

No nailbiters, coming down to the last drive games, anticlimactic.

How does the KHSAA get this right? Year after year of blow outs in all classifications in the state finals

There is "getting it right" and also "wishing for the impossible". There is no way for the KHSAA to classify schools in a way to insure "nail biter" championships. Any system will begin with a breakdown of classes my male student population. Next you group teams by geography.

If you want a mess throw some subjectivity into the mix.

Long time reader.....first time poster. I know that there were not any games that went to the final drive, but lets be real here, there were a lot of competitive games. The only game that wasn't close at the half was Beechwood and Raceland. All the other games were within 1-2 touchdowns, and were exciting games. Would it have been great to see a nail-bitter game like the 1996 4A championship, yea, it would have been. But there were still good games, even if the scoreboard says otherwise in the end.

Long time reader.....first time poster. I know that there were not any games that went to the final drive, but lets be real here, there were a lot of competitive games. The only game that wasn't close at the half was Beechwood and Raceland. All the other games were within 1-2 touchdowns, and were exciting games. Would it have been great to see a nail-bitter game like the 1996 4A championship, yea, it would have been. But there were still good games, even if the scoreboard says otherwise in the end.

Good point and Welcome to the Site!!! :thumb:

Blowouts happen in every state in Championship games. See Ohio and Indiana. Kentucky probably has too many classes, but changing the class structure alone will not prevent blowouts in the championship games.

There were blowouts when there were 4 Classes.

Ultimately, a state the size of Kentucky has too many classes. Had the final matchups played out with 3 classes (notwithstanding issues of geography), we could have had:

Beechwood - Danville

Boyle County - Franklin-Simpson

Covington Catholic - Trinity

And we're glad to have you here!

I don't think the 6 classed have that much to do with the results. In the 10 years before we went to six classes there were some close games but may more blowouts.

A 14-13, 14-7 and 37-34 other 7 games all 14+

AA 15-12, 28-21 and 33-27 ot other games all 10+

AAA 21-13 other games all +14

AAAA had the most close games 3-0, 34-31 ot, 17-14, 14-6 and 59-56 but

the other 5 were all 20+