Kayari Suganuma transferring to Notre Dame Academy

Lawnboy13

Talking with Cooper Head Coach Tony Fields this evening at the Highlands/Boone Co boys hoops game, he informs me that So. Kayari Suganuma, his phenom SS and reigning NKSCA Division I Player of the Year will be transferring to Notre Dame on Monday because the Boone County Board of Education will not recognize her Student Visa since her parents are moving back to Japan.

How to you not let this young lady continue at a school she has been going to for the past 2 years? :idunno:

Talking with Cooper Head Coach Tony Fields this evening at the Highlands/Boone Co boys hoops game, he informs me that So. Kayari Suganuma, his phenom SS and reigning NKSCA Division I Player of the Year will be transferring to Notre Dame on Monday because the Boone County Board of Education will not recognize her Student Visa since her parents are moving back to Japan.

How to you not let this young lady continue at a school she has been going to for the past 2 years? :idunno:

That's too bad but glad she will still be playing in the state since have heard awesome things about her but never seen her play. Hopefully, Notre Dame's schedule includes some games against Region 6 and 7 teams so we can see her play.

Just curious having some experience

If the Student Visa is issued and managed on the federal level - State Department, Homeland Security, Department of Education - how does the local school board have authority to deny the Visa?

And its hard to understand how the rules differ between Boone Co. and NDA when both are under the KY Department of Education and KHSAA???

There is more to this story than the Boone County BOE not recognizing her visa....

I'm not suggesting I have any additional information, but the process here doesn't make sense. I suspect that there may be some additional technical threads that are not being seen.

The visa process is precarious at best and in this situation, without having all the details, sounds like it has some potential guardianship issues at hand as well. If her parents are moving back to their home country and she is a minor dependent, that would seem to be part of the issue as well.

@Lawnboy13 we need to get some more information from Tony to better assess this one....for the record, Coach Stephenson has to be ecstatic

There is more to this story than the Boone County BOE not recognizing her visa....

I'm not suggesting I have any additional information, but the process here doesn't make sense. I suspect that there may be some additional technical threads that are not being seen.

The visa process is precarious at best and in this situation, without having all the details, sounds like it has some potential guardianship issues at hand as well. If her parents are moving back to their home country and she is a minor dependent, that would seem to be part of the issue as well.

@Lawnboy13 we need to get some more information from Tony to better assess this one....for the record, Coach Stephenson has to be ecstatic

I hear when word came down she was going to be a Panda, he was spotted doing backflips across the outfield grass. LOL

I'm with BirdMan, there is more to this than what is being said in my opinion. I would also like to know how she ended up at ND instead of somewhere like St. Henry, Holy Cross, Beechwood or other schools she passes along the way to ND. The young lady is very good and is fun to watch.