Reds Decline To Renew Jim Kelch's Contract

Reds 'simplifying' broadcast booth, don't renew Jim Kelch

“Our goal is mostly to simplify, fewer people doing games,” said Karen Forgus, the Reds’ senior vice president of business operations.

Kelch was a Reds employee, as are Marty Brennaman, Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley. Forgus said all three are under contract for 2018. The Reds are in the process of re-evaluating their broadcast team.

Kelch was informed last month that his contract was not being renewed.

“They simply told me that with Marty (Brennaman) nearing the finish line that they were going to go in another direction in setting up the person who was going to follow him and I was not that person, so they were not renewing my contract,” Kelch told The Enquirer.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame, I enjoyed Kelch's game calling from Louisville to Cincinnati. However, I will agree the Redlegs organization have too many guys doing games. (Not that big of a Thom fan. Something about his voice is irritating. Not as good as Marty.)

I hope they simplify who is doing TV and who is doing radio. The thing I enjoyed growing up was knowing that when I turned the radio on, it was always going to be Marty and Joe. Now you turn the radio and tv on and it is a different pair of announcers every series.

Is that a sign of the times? Do other teams always have the same guys calling their games?

I really like Jim Kelch, it's Thom Brennaman that needs to go. I guess that would tick off Marty however. I haven't heard of anyone that enjoys Thom's broadcast.

I like Thom. He just gets way too much time off from doing the games.

I have no problem with Kelch going...as long as George Grand goes too!!! He was good back in his day. [early '80''s] but he is just god awful irritating to me. Plus,he supposedly retired like....five years ago!!! Just go George!!!! It has become ridiculous with the amount of broadcasters/part time broadcasters this franchise has. Marty,Thom,Cowboy,Kelch,Welsh,Grand,Flynn,Morgan,Casey....from time to time. HOLY CRAP!!!! They have more announcers than prospects!!!!

Thin the heard is what i say. Maybe you'll save enough money to afford a free agent...lol!!!

Is that a sign of the times? Do other teams always have the same guys calling their games?

The Rays only have 2 on the radio, Dave Wills and Andy Freed. Same 2 for every game. They have never had a TV crossover.

Atlanta started the TV crossover trend in the late 80's or early 90's when TBS carried all of their games. Some teams followed the trend, some didn't.

as long as George Grand goes too!!! He was good back in his day. [early '80''s] but he is just god awful irritating to me. Plus' date='he supposedly retired like....five years ago!!! Just go George!!!![/quote']

Grande is sort of the "substitute teacher" for Reds broadcasts now, right?

he does more games than you think. I just think he's overstayed his welcome. the same way Tim McCarver was around longer than he should have been. but it's just my opinion. My main point would be, can we settle on a set two, to do radio, and a set two ,to do television? Is that possible? ...lol!