Duke 88 Michigan State 81

16thBBall Fan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very impressive win playing majority of the game without Bagley. I really think Duke's zone had Michigan State rattled. Not something you see out of Duke often.

There’s nothing wrong with a good zone. UK’s team this year, being long and athletic, should utilize zone as much as possible imo. But Cal is very stubborn. He made a gag gesture when he said the “zone” word in an interview.

Zone worked great for Duke tonight.

Both teams looked good in spurts. If Bagley plays the whole game I don't think MSU is able to keep it close. MSU will be tough all season but especially in March. Duke's zone defense could be the key to their early success with a young team, it looked really good early on.

There’s nothing wrong with a good zone. UK’s team this year, being long and athletic, should utilize zone as much as possible imo. But Cal is very stubborn. He made a gag gesture when he said the “zone” word in an interview.

Zone worked great for Duke tonight.

I really wish Cal would embrace the zone when it's needed. Tonight, with Kansas, it's needed IMO. My guess is that if Kentucky uses it tonight it will be too late for it to matter and Cal will abandon the idea completely. Don't get me wrong and take my thoughts out of context, Cal is a great coach, and he get's paid the big dollars for a reason while I sit on my couch and watch the games. IMO, the zone would help this UK team a lot, but I can also see his reasoning for not using it, at least this early in the season.

Both teams looked good in spurts. If Bagley plays the whole game I don't think MSU is able to keep it close. MSU will be tough all season but especially in March. Duke's zone defense could be the key to their early success with a young team, it looked really good early on.

Don't think it works like that - Bagley plays the whole game no way Allen goes for as many points. Duke may actiually have been less efficient with Bagley in the game as there is only one ball and 3 points count more than 2.

Quick question - how many times did Allen score going to his right?

Hint - it's a very low number. Kid is great pulling up going left. To his right it's all set shots and drives. Teams will pick up on that, and things will get more challenging for Grayson. From there...

It's early. Duke is talented, and their legs are fresh.