Bobby Doerr, Hall of Fame Red Sox Second Baseman, Passes Away

Bobby Doerr, MLB's oldest living Hall of Famer passed away Monday, at the age of 99.

Bobby Doerr, 99, Hall of Fame Red Sox Second Baseman, Is Dead - The New York Times

Midway through this article, there's a neat picture of Doerr and Johnny Pesky at a pregame ceremony with Big Papi, Varitek and Wakefield.

Bobby Doerr 1918-2017.jpg

My dad played 2nd base through the years because he idolized Doerr as a youngster, growing up in rural Indiana. An old '48 Leaf - Doerr baseball card, now somewhere in one of my closets, was one of his most treasured possessions.

RIP Bobby.

If you've never read it, pick up The Teammates by David Halberstam. It chronicles the baseball and post-baseball life of Ted Williams, Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, and Bobby Doerr. Great read all around, but Doerr is just a wonderful figure.

Great book. Great player and person. This is a big loss for Red Sox fans and baseball in general. RIP Bobby.

If you've never read it, pick up The Teammates by David Halberstam. It chronicles the baseball and post-baseball life of Ted Williams, Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, and Bobby Doerr. Great read all around, but Doerr is just a wonderful figure.

I bought it the week it came out. ESPN also made a TV special about it.