#1 Covington Catholic at #4 South Oldham (5A Quarterfinal)

Pete W

Who wins?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Covington Catholic is 12-0 and the only undefeated team left in 5A. The Colonels routed Bullitt Central 49-0.

South Oldham is 11-1 and trailed Highlands by 13 with 5 minutes left, the Dragons scored two late TD to get the 35-34 win.

The last meeting of the teams was a regular season meeting in 2006 that Covington Catholic won 43-7.

Covington Catholic is seeking to win their first ever 5A Regional Final since the KHSAA went to 6 classes in 2007. The Colonels were 3A State Champions in 2006.

South Oldham is looking for their 2nd straight Regional Final win.

Comparing scores of common opponents:

CC beat Highlands 52-0, beat Bullitt East 56-14, beat Bullitt Central 49-0

SO beat Highlands 35-34, beat Bullitt East 48-13, beat Bullitt Central 42-7

Covington Catholic has had the running clock mercy rule in effect for all 9 games vs opponents from Kentucky this season. Can the Dragons stop that and have a shot against the Colonels???

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both years it was also facing a #1 seed, and the lineup of the bracket changed this year in 5A, there is a new rule (credit to Jason Frakes for tweeting it out) that if two teams of the same seed meet in the 3rd round two seasons in a row the Home and away flips, but that doesn’t apply here.

Both years it was also facing a #1 seed, and the lineup of the bracket changed this year in 5A, there is a new rule (credit to Jason Frakes for tweeting it out) that if two teams of the same seed meet in the 3rd round two seasons in a row the Home and away flips, but that doesn’t apply here.

Thanks for the answer. Mine was really a rhetorical question. I think this is another reason to not flip districts in the playoffs, but what do I know.

The way CCH is destroying everyone this year, it reminds me of some of the dominant HHS teams when we get to this point in the season wondering, "what will happen if the players actually play a close game. Will they be able to handle pressure in the 4th quarter when the game is not over?". That is really the only question left for this CCH team. They will win easily next week but what I am interested in is how they will play against BG, who is used to playing big games and will most likely not be intimidated. I still think CCH gets it done but that is what I am looking forward to seeing play out.