#6 South Warren at #2 Bowling Green (5A Quarterfinal)

Pete W

Who wins?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

South Warren ended Christian County’s previously undefeated season with a 24-6 win.

Bowling Green trailed Greenwood at the half but stormed back for a 42-21 win.

Bowling Green won the regular season meeting 43-7. In that game Bowling Green QB Beau Buchanon completed 16 of 21 passes for 336 yards, 5 TD, no interceptions. Nash Hightower was the leading receiver with 7 catches for 111 yards and 2TD. The Purples rushed 23 times for just 57 yards and 1 TD.

For the Spartans Gavin Spurrier completed 11 of 18 passes for 159 yards, no TD, 1 interception. Christian Winn rushed 24 times for 146 yards and 1 TD.

Who wins?

This will be one of BGs biggest gut checks in quite a while. They have to balance their emotions. Just as they can't focus on how they handled the Spartans they also can't focus on injuries. Everyone this time of year have their bumps and bruises. BG will be without 2 more starters since last time they played South Warren. Hoping that the injuries last night doesn't carry over on Friday night.

Coach Wallace and Spader will have them ready. I expect the game will have an electric atmosphere. Get to ticket booth before 630pm or you will be waiting in line to get in.

South will be inspired, rightfully so, by beating Christian County. Not being a hater but Christian just seemed to be the most flat undefeated team I have seen for a while.

I would still think that South will struggle with our overall team speed. Purples will try to hone in on Winn and pressure Spurier. South will try to keep Purples off the field by controlling the clock.

Should be a good one

Purples 47

Spartans 20

Should be more posts on this one; so let me give some info now.

For Bowling Green, yes they beat the Greenwood Gators last week, but they didn't really play well IMO. Greenwood had a great gameplan and they executed it well. The Gators overall were disappointing in 2017 no doubt, but they seem to come alive at Apollo a couple weeks again and played BG awfully well. No sure how many more will not be able to play on Friday yet due to a touch physical game. No time to cry about it. This is exactly the reason it is important to get your subs into real games (mop up time included) as you never know when they will be called on to play.

For South Warren, you have to like where they sit right now if you're a Spartans Fan. All the pressure is on BG; just look at the poll in this thread. You just went and knocked off an undefeated opponent on the road. I am not in the know concerning injuries, but I'm sure they have some just like everyone else. To me, South Warren arrived in 5A last Friday night by beating Christian County at Christian County. You have to be sky high off Nashville Road right now!

Concerning this game, I'll get to more of the keys to the game later in the week when I know more about the injury situation. First, I would throw out the first game. It won't mean anything on Friday night. South Warren must repeat their 1st Quarter performance (Game was tied at 7 at the end of 1). But you have to sustain/slow down BGs offense. Best way to do that is keep them off the field.

Going to be a Great Game Sports fans! I look for it to be a close game (I always do). More later this week and I'll make my prediction then.

Well Bowling Green is going to have to play a lot better than they played against Greenwood that's for sure.

During the first meeting the question was can BG protect Buchanan and control the line of scrimmage? And can BG's defensive line put pressure on Spurrier and keep Winn contained?

The same questions apply in this meeting too. South Warren cannot even come close to covering BG's receivers unless the OL fails to give Buchanan time to throw.

One of the biggest factors that played a major role in BG's blowout win is conditioning. South Warren was wore out by the early second quarter. Winn was spent and was pretty much done by the end of the first quarter. I don't see that changing, you can't get in better shape very much during the season, especially in just a few weeks.

BG has to step up and protect Buchanan. It can't turn the ball over and give South momentum or a short field. South Warren will also try to keep BG's special teams out of it again by kicking out of bound or nearly out of bounds. But BG has to be focused and play much better than it did against Greenwood.

I know BG has some injuries and I have only seem them play once, but I don't see how they lose this game. South Warren is a real head scratcher for me, they beat CC last week, which I didn't see coming, but I saw them live against Owensboro Cath and I was not impressed with them. Its like 2 different teams. Maybe they play up to their competition, and were super hyped for CC? I say BG by 20.

I know BG has some injuries and I have only seem them play once, but I don't see how they lose this game. South Warren is a real head scratcher for me, they beat CC last week, which I didn't see coming, but I saw them live against Owensboro Cath and I was not impressed with them. Its like 2 different teams. Maybe they play up to their competition, and were super hyped for CC? I say BG by 20.

Rosco, I don't think your off base, but I don't think you have all the arrows in your quill either.

South Warren beat Christian County fair and square, but Christian County was without IMO their best player Corey Trice Safety and sometimes WR who is going to Purdue I think. That game was 3-0 South at halftime. County then drives down and scores 6-3. But South answers right back on an 89 yards TD reception. Would South have scored on that play had Trice been on the field??? I don't know, but he may have been able to tackle him. Add to that the fact that South was razor sharp coming out of defeating a solid Graves County team, while Christian County could have beaten Barren County with their freshman and JV. Some additional info for you.

South played OCath the week after they lost to BG on a rainy, cold, crappy night. My thought is the South players had a hangover from the weeklong pep rallys/etc from playing BG and then had to suck it up in less than favorable weather conditions, which easily dampened their passing game. More info.

South is playing with house money now. Look at the poll in this thread. Crazy lop-sided. Lacey didn't make as big an impact on the last game as he is capable of. He will play better in this game IMO. Should be close.

Purple 88. Your logic makes me question my pick! I love a team playing with house money! My dog isn't in this fight so I'd like to see some playoff craziness! Hope its a good one.

Rosco, you will be able to stream it live if you want to at

stbntv.com

They do a good job with BGs games! Or you should just drive down and meet me at the South 45 yard line up near the press box!!! 59 degrees and no rain is a great November evening in my book!!!

Rosco, I don't think your off base, but I don't think you have all the arrows in your quill either.

South Warren beat Christian County fair and square, but Christian County was without IMO their best player Corey Trice Safety and sometimes WR who is going to Purdue I think. That game was 3-0 South at halftime. County then drives down and scores 6-3. But South answers right back on an 89 yards TD reception. Would South have scored on that play had Trice been on the field??? I don't know, but he may have been able to tackle him. Add to that the fact that South was razor sharp coming out of defeating a solid Graves County team, while Christian County could have beaten Barren County with their freshman and JV. Some additional info for you.

South played OCath the week after they lost to BG on a rainy, cold, crappy night. My thought is the South players had a hangover from the weeklong pep rallys/etc from playing BG and then had to suck it up in less than favorable weather conditions, which easily dampened their passing game. More info.

South is playing with house money now. Look at the poll in this thread. Crazy lop-sided. Lacey didn't make as big an impact on the last game as he is capable of. He will play better in this game IMO. Should be close.

This! Purple 88 is right on imo. I give South total praise for beating CCHS. They made the plays they had to make. But BG is a totally different monster. You’re can’t have 49yds on the ground and beat BG with Big passes as you did to CCHS. BG’s Offense is going to put too much pressure on South to keep up scoring. Which IMO will put South in predictable situations, A luxury CCHS did not have. I too would like for this to be a tough game that comes down to the whistle, but from what I saw last week I’m picking BG by a lot. Souths got so many kids playing both ways that if and when BG gets ahead I don’t think South will have enough troops to keep it close. South 10 BG 41