Ohio State Students use App to Cheat

Jumper_Dad

Nearly 100 Ohio State students accused of using app to cheat - NY Daily News

Scores of students at Ohio State University may no longer be eligible for graduation after they were allegedly caught cheating on class assignments with the help of a social media app.

The university’s Committee on Academic Misconduct following an investigation learned 83 undergraduate students at the Fisher College business school used the “GroupMe” app to work on classwork together, WCMH reported.

The professor teaching the course in April caught the students and went on to turn them in, according to university spokesperson Benjamin Johnson. They’ve since been charged with violating the university’s code of conduct for unauthorized collaboration on graded assignments.

The incident has raised questions about the use of technology in the classroom.

Johnson told the news station students are permitted to use social media and apps to communicate and work together, but rules for cheating hold true whether in person or electronically.

“Students charged with academic misconduct violations may accept responsibility for the charges or request a hearing...” Ohio State University said in a statement. “If found in violation, students receive sanctions based on the nature and severity of the violation in accordance with university standards and protocols.”

Edited by Jumper_Dad

Basically if the students were just helping each other with take home assignments via Group Me this is completely laughable. I'd venture to say roughly 75% of undergraduate students are "collaborating with other students" when working on assignments. GroupMe is just a super easy platform for it. Now if they were using this to cheat on an exam then that is a totally different.

They collaborated on a project where collaboration was specifically prohibited. It does not matter how they did it, they got caught violating the rules of the project.

But hey, screw the rules. We don't need no stinking rules.

Honesty and integrity? Who needs that? If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

They collaborated on a project where collaboration was specifically prohibited. It does not matter how they did it, they got caught violating the rules of the project.

But hey, screw the rules. We don't need no stinking rules.

Honesty and integrity? Who needs that? If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

Haha any assignment that isn't done in class is going to have "collaboration" between students. That's just how it is. Happens everywhere on every assignment. This professor is just ignorant for thinking otherwise. When I say everyone in college is doing this, I mean EVERYONE.

This is the text I got back from my buddy who's in the business school at OSU, "Oh the media obviously ran out of important news to publish haha — they were caught in April. Just students sharing online quiz answers for accounting via groupme...the number is exaggerated, as they counted every person that was in the groupme, whether they posted / viewed answers or not"

Haha any assignment that isn't done in class is going to have "collaboration" between students. That's just how it is. Happens everywhere on every assignment. This professor is just ignorant for thinking otherwise. When I say everyone in college is doing this, I mean EVERYONE.

So the fact that what they did was wrong, that they were in violation of university policy, does not matter, because everybody is cheating?

Also, the professor is ignorant because he didn't think it was OK for his students to cheat, "because everybody does it"?

I would counter that the professor is being diligent enough to make sure that his assignments are carried out properly, as opposed to a lot tenured academics who assign TAs to perform their classroom requirements. I applaud the OSU Committee on Academic Misconduct for standing behind him, too.

So the fact that what they did was wrong, that they were in violation of university policy, does not matter, because everybody is cheating?

Also, the professor is ignorant because he didn't think it was OK for his students to cheat, "because everybody does it"?

I would counter that the professor is being diligent enough to make sure that his assignments are carried out properly, as opposed to a lot tenured academics who assign TAs to perform their classroom requirements. I applaud the OSU Committee on Academic Misconduct for standing behind him, too.

Charge the entire student body then.