Jerry Jones threatens to sue NFL if Roger Goodell's contract extension is approved

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shield is slowly devouring itself.

With the final eight weeks of the regular season beginning tonight, there’s no reason to think this year’s troubling trend will change, because there’s no reason for people to return to following football after the various debates and town halls and other political shows and specials that sucked people away from watching football before November 8, 2016. And with, as Darren Rovell of ESPN noted on Wednesday, total ratings are down 5.5 percent through the first nine weeks of 2017 in comparison to the first nine weeks of 2016, the absence of a post-election bounce means the gap is about to get bigger.

Ratings decline could soon become more pronounced – ProFootballTalk

The Shield is slowly devouring itself.

With the final eight weeks of the regular season beginning tonight, there’s no reason to think this year’s troubling trend will change, because there’s no reason for people to return to following football after the various debates and town halls and other political shows and specials that sucked people away from watching football before November 8, 2016. And with, as Darren Rovell of ESPN noted on Wednesday, total ratings are down 5.5 percent through the first nine weeks of 2017 in comparison to the first nine weeks of 2016, the absence of a post-election bounce means the gap is about to get bigger.

Ratings decline could soon become more pronounced – ProFootballTalk

A lot of issues with the NFL right now. Ratings should be interesting this weekend with Veterans Day weekend. I'm seeing a bunch of boycott measures for this weekend. And it's also affecting the pre-game shows as the rating for ESPN's Gameday is in the toilet.

Jones isn't just suing the NFL, he is also going to sue individual owners. JJ may have just lost all his power going specifically after the other owners.

Also read an article Goodell is extremely upset the owners want to make his contact performance based instead of guaranteed.

Meanwhile, I've never watched more. Other than finding something else to do for the Bengals' three hours per week, I've watched just about every game this season.

I've watched about the same but I know many, many people who have stopped watching. Also seeing sponsors like Papa Johns voicing their displeasure. The NFL had to give them future free additional spots and they have pulled some of their ads currently paid for. The USSA is getting pressure from their veterans. The drop in ratings isn't going to affect the current players but the next TV contract and ads are going to affect the future players income with most of the NFL income is based on TV ratings.

Pouting because he knows Zeke will eventually get suspended. Blames the issue on the Commish when the player is the issue. Typical Jones. I doubt they do much to Goodell if anything. He has solid backing by most owners.

Player wasn't charged for the crimes he was suspended for but this has been discussed ad nauseam.

College Gameday? That's a pretty easy one. The show has gone extremely downhill. Just isn't the same.

Sorry, NFL Countdown with Sam Ponder. But all the NFL pre game shows on all the networks are down. It's not just kneeling, but that doesn't help. NFL has many issues as well as cord cutters. But, that will affect the next contract TV does with the NFL.

Pouting because he knows Zeke will eventually get suspended. Blames the issue on the Commish when the player is the issue. Typical Jones. I doubt they do much to Goodell if anything. He has solid backing by most owners.

While I tend to agree with you (the player is the issue) I think the larger issue is the NFL.

I don't know about everyone else but I do NOT want Corporations involved in the Justice System.

While I tend to agree with you (the player is the issue) I think the larger issue is the NFL.

I don't know about everyone else but I do NOT want Corporations involved in the Justice System.

They are not the Justice system. Every corporation in the US has sets of rules that may be tougher than federal or state law. The players bargained for this system.. Change it next time. Simple as that.

On a personal level I think it is ludicrous that the players agreed to the Commish being judge, and jury and no real appeal process. But, the players made tehir bed....

Tiger has an affair and loses income. Didn't do anything illegal, but sponsors who are, in essence, an employer, can do still basically fire him.

This is the issue. The players should have never signed up for Goodell to be judge, jury, and executioner. They signed their death warrant. But in this particular case I think its extremely hard to get behind this even though the players signed up for it. If Zeke is not guilty in the eyes of the legal system he should be viewed not guilty in the eyes of the NFL. This will be a HUGE part of the next CBA.

They are not the Justice system. Every corporation in the US has sets of rules that may be tougher than federal or state law. The players bargained for this system.. Change it next time. Simple as that.

On a personal level I think it is ludicrous that the players agreed to the Commish being judge, and jury and no real appeal process. But, the players made tehir bed....

Tiger has an affair and loses income. Didn't do anything illegal, but sponsors who are, in essence, an employer, can do still basically fire him.

The NFL acts as a quasi-Justice System when the NFL disagrees with the actual Justice System.

I do agree the players are Stupid Stupid Stupid for letting the The Rog be a King.

This is the issue. The players should have never signed up for Goodell to be judge, jury, and executioner. They signed their death warrant. But in this particular case I think its extremely hard to get behind this even though the players signed up for it. If Zeke is not guilty in the eyes of the legal system he should be viewed not guilty in the eyes of the NFL. This will be a HUGE part of the next CBA.

We are really close here. :thumb: