Playoff Preview: 6A Round Two

thsrocks

#11 Central Hardin (8-3) vs. Henderson County (5-6)

Central Hardin has won 4 in a row and 6 of their past 7 games. Henderson County comes into this round two contest with 4 wins in their past 6 games. Each team suffered one shutout loss in 2017. The Bruins fell 15-0 to @A #5 Christian Academy of Louisville on September 1. The Colonels dropped the opening game of the season 41-0 to Reitz (IN). Henderson County scored the same number of points as they have allowed, 269. Central Hardin has scored 308 points while giving up 170. My prediction for this slugfest is Central Hardin 21-Henderson County 14.

Daviess County (6-5) at McCracken County (7-4)

This is a rematch of a game played September 22. The Mustangs won the first battle 56-40. The Panthers come into this game on a three game winning streak. Daviess has scored 420 points while allowing 304 in 2017. McCracken County has tallied 374 and allowed 281. The Mustangs own a current 6 game win streak. I look for a score a little less glossy than the first game. Make it McCracken County 35-Daviess County 14

#1 Trinity (11-0) vs. #12 Campbell County (7-4)

The Fighting Camels have won 4 of their past 6 games. They face their second #1 ranked team in Kentucky in three weeks. Campbell County fell to 5A #1 Covington Catholic 49-13 on October 27. The Fighting Camels have scored 371 points while allowing 281. Trinity comes into this contest winners of their last 26 in a row. The Shamrocks defense has held opponents to 87 total points while scoring 435. These two met once before in 1997, a 41-7 win for Trinity. I look for the Shamrocks to score 56 while keeping Campbell County out of the end zone.

#14 Ballard (6-5) at #6 Simon Kenton (10-1)

Ballard has won four of their past six games. In an up and down season, the Bruins have scored 252 points and allowed 236 points. Simon Kenton is a heavy favorite , having won all but one of their games this season. The Pioneers are owners of the most prolific scoring team in Class 6A with 505 points. Simon Kenton has given up 231 points. I look for the Pioneers to take this playoff game 49-14.

#3 St. Xavier (9-2) vs. #8 Pleasure Ridge Park (7-4)

In another rematch, St. Xavier comes into this titanic struggle winners of 4 of their past 5 games. The Tigers beat Pleasure Ridge Park 35-21 on September 22. The Panthers have dropped two of their last three games. On the season, PRP scored 281 points and allowed 215. I am predicting an identical score of 35-21 in favor of St. Xavier.

#4 Male (9-2) vs. #9 Butler (7-4) rematch

The Bulldogs come into this rematch winners of 6 of their past 7 games. Male’s scoring margin stands at 368 to 137 for the season. The Bears have played with marginal success in recent weeks, winning 3 out of 6. The Bears do have the biggest upset of the 6A playoffs, defeating #5 Ryle 20-14. However Male owns a 35-6 28-14 victory over the Bears on September 22. I predict a more modest win for the Bulldogs this time around: 28-14.

# 10 Tates Creek (9-2) vs. #7 Frederick Douglass (9-2) rematch

The first year team from Lexington may be the surprise of the year in 6A. The Broncos have won 4 in a row and face a team they defeated on August 25 by a 49-22 count. The 321 points scored by the Broncos while allowing 170 is a testament to the talent and discipline of this squad. Tates Creek is on a five game winning streak coming into this rematch. The Commodores have a better spread between points scored and allowed (333-142). Frederick Douglass 35-Tates Creek 21 is my prediction for this one.

#13 Henry Clay (6-5) at #2 Scott County (9-2)

This game is a rematch of their September 29 contest won by Scott County 57-28. The Blue Devils have won 4 out of five since the first test against the Cardinals. Henry Clay tallied 299 and allowed 252 points thus far in 2017. Scott County has won 6 in a row and scored the second highest total of points in 6A with 494. The Cardinals defense allowed 230 points and they tasted defeat only twice this season. The two losses were versus Cincinnati Greater Catholic League schools. See the final score of this contest as Scott County 49-Henry Clay 21.