Teacher Put Math Problem About 9/11 Attacks on Test

Science Friction

What was supposed to be just another problem to solve for a freshman math class has turned into a controversy after a teacher used the Sept. 11 attacks as a word problem on a test.

CBS Boston reports the Newburyport High School teacher used specifics from the terrorist attacks, down to the flight number, asking students to calculate how long United Airlines Flight 175 was in the air before it hit the World Trade Center.

Many in the community took offense to the problem, considering local resident Tom Pecorelli died on American Airlines Flight 11 that day.

Teacher apologizes for math problem about 9/11 attacks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the school statement from the article:

The school released a statement in response to the incident that reads in part: "This was an exercise in poor judgment by the educator who intended to use the historical event as a mechanism to engage students in thoughtful discussion."

So. Very. True.

It sounds as though she didn't mean any harm or disrespect and probably was just trying to come up with a relevant problem. I think I would have chosen a less specific description.

It sounds like a good assignment to me that teaches both History and Math and makes it real.

I love math, but I would say that teaching/discussing only math might get old. Seems like that this teacher was trying to make a connection and foster discussion.

I guess that we can go back to "Sue has some apples and Tom has twice as many...."

I agree, I think the more practical the application of math can be made...the better the complete understanding of it is for the student.

I had a geometry teacher that had each student design their dream home...then you had to figure out all of the math for the design, from roof angles to how many sheets of drywall would be needed to how many floor tiles or carpet would be needed. He tricked us into learning :lol2:

No issue with this. I use a “on this day in history” daily word problem. Often the problems are about war casualties and percentages lost or wounded in various battles. The lead ins are interesting, and interesting motivates students to use their math skills to solve the problem. It’s called educating.