BluegrassPreps.com Lexington/Central KY Playoff Preview & Power Rankings

(6A) (#1) (D7) Scott County Cardinals v (6A) (#4) (D8) George Rogers Clark Cardinals:

The Cardinals, Scott County that is, is looking for their 2nd state title (dating back to 1998 per KHSAA) since 2013. Past several years, Lafayette has been a thorn in Scott County's side, knocking them out of the playoffs. Scott County will open up the 2017 playoffs at home with the Cardinals from Winchester, George Rogers Clark. Scott County comes in 8-2 and have annilated all of their opponents except for Lafayette who they defeated 31-21 earlier in the season.

George Rogers Clark comes in 5-5 and have struggled down the stretch. GRC started the season off 2-1 in their first 3 games but have since went 3-4 (1-3 last 4 games). GRC is looking to do something that no other KY team has been able to do at all this season, defeat Scott County.

Last time these two teams met, Scott County throttled GRC 48-0 (1stRD of the 6A playoffs in '15), Scott County also defeated GRC earlierthat season too, 55-21.

My prediction: Scott County 53-13

(1A): (#2) (D3) Frankfort Panthers v (1A): (#3) (D4) Bellevue Tigers:

Frankfort comes in at 6-4 winners of 3 of their last 5 games.Bellevue comes in 5-5, losers of 3 of their last 4 games.

These two teams have met each year in either the first or second round of the playoffs and ironically, it's always been Frankfort coming out on top, by a big margin. The last time Bellevue defeated Frankfort, 2009 29-26.

Seems like the Panthers have all the momentum heading in while theTigers have struggled to close out the season.

My Prediction: Frankfort 47-25

(2A): (#1) (D7) Danville Admirals v (2A): (#4) (D8) East Ridge Warriors:

3:45 hour bus ride for the Warriors of East Ridge. East Ridge comes in 5-5 but like Belleuve, have struggled down the stretch, going 1-2 in their last 3 games.

Danville comes in at an outstanding 10-0. 3 of their 10 wins have been by 2+ TD's. The Admirals bring in a combination attaack of both rushing and passing. QB Zach Thornton has thrown over 1600 yards this season. Danville has two players that has rushed over 400 yards and one (Zach Thornton) who's just under 300 yards rushing.

These two teams met in 2015 in the first round of the 2A playoffswith Danville winning 49-0.

My Prediction: Danville 56-6

(2A): (#2) (D7) Lexington Christian Eagles v (2A): (#3) (D8): Leslie County Eagles

Our second matchup of mascots, Eagles. Leslie county makes the long bus ride to Lexington to face a very dangerous LCA team that has to be seething to get their hands on Danville again.

This LCA team and last year's team has to be the best group ofplayers they've had in a while.

Dillion Wheatley and company will look to keep things on track and a possible re-match looks promising for the Eagles of Lexington Christian Academy.

These two teams met in the first round of the 2A playoffs back in 2014 with LCA winning 45-27.

One thing is for sure, one Eagle will win and it doesn't look to promising for Leslie County.

My Prediction: LCA 48-13

(3A): (#1) (D5): Fleming County Panthers v (3A): (#4) (D3): Garrard County Golden Lions:

Arguably one of the better 1 v 4 first round matchups. Fleming County comes in 8-2 while Garrard County comes in 3-7.

The Golden Lions have lost 5 straight while the Panthers have won 4 of their last 5 games. This is the best Fleming County Panther team they've had in a while up in Flemingsburg.

The biggest chance there is, Fleming County's district all being sent home with first round losses.

My Prediction: Fleming County 33-21

(3A): (#2) (D4) Lexington Catholic Knights v (3A): (#3) (D5) Bath County Wildcats:

According to KHSAA this is the first meeting between these two, at least dating all the way back to 1998.

Bath County comes in as the #3 team in district 5, with a record of 7-3. Lexington Catholic comes in as #2 team in district 4, with a record of 5-5.

The Wildcats have lost 2 of their last 3 games while the Knights have struggled this season, although they have won 5 games, they have,win/loss/win/loss throughout the entire season and if it still stands, they will win this game but lose in the second round, talk about a crazy pattern for a season.

My Prediction: Lexington Catholic 49-28.

(6A): (#2) (D7) Frederick Douglass Broncos v (6A): (#3) (D8) Lafayette Generals:

The Broncos have had a tremendous first season as school and are looking to get their first win on the season but it comes at a cost,as they will get Lafayette, yes the Broncos did pick up a 29-14 win over the Generals earlier in the season but as records show, the Generals seem to have a lot of teams' number when it comes to the playoffs, IE: Scott County.

Lafayette comes in 3-7 and as the #3 team in district 8. Douglass comes in 8-2 and the #2 team in district 7.

Will the Broncos get their first post season win or will the Generals do what they do best when it comes to post season?

My Prediction: Douglass 26-21

(6A): (#1) (D8) Tates Creek Commodores v (6A): (#4) (D7) Bryan Station Defenders:

Another pair of Lexington schools facing off against each other.These two met earlier in the season and the Commodores didn't have a problem getting past the Defenders as they won 38-8.

For the Bryan Station Defenders, they have struggled past couple of seasons and have not been really known as a “Football School”.They have just 1 win this season and it was a close victory over winless Paul Dunbar.

Will the same result happen tomorrow that happened earlier in theseason or will the Defenders pick up a huge upset?

My Prediction: Tates Creek 43-19

(3A): (#2) (D5) Russell Red Devils v (3A): (#3) (D4) Western Hills Wolverines:

These two teams met back in 2014 at Russell and with the home team winning, 37-16.

Western Hills got off to a good start to the season winning 5 of their first 6 games but dropping 2 of their last 4 games. Russell,however, has picked up steam since going 0-3 to start the season. The Red Devils have won 5 of their last 7 games.

Can Russell stop WanDale Robinson from scoring every time he touches the ball or will the Hills prevail?

My Prediction: Western Hills 34-23

(4A): (#2) (D4): Franklin County Flyers v (4A): (#3) (D5) Mercer County Titans:

A rematch of an earlier season game where Mercer County won 35-25.Since opening up the season 2-0 the Titans have went 3-5 with a 2 game losing streak. The Flyers on the other hand, have had the same type of season as Lexington Catholic.

This one should be just as good as the earlier game.

My Prediction: Franklin County 27-19

(3A): (#1) (D4) Boyle County Rebels v (3A) (#4) (D5) West Carter Comets:

The Comets make the very long haul from Eastern KY to Central KY to take on the Boyle County Rebels. This however, won't be the first time the Comets have made the long trip to Central KY, as they've made a couple of trips to Garrard County over the past several years.

West Carter comes in 5-5, winners of 3 straight. Boyle County comes in 9-1, winners of 7 straight.

News broke out, late last week/earlier this week that this would be West Carter head coach, Kevin Brown's last season as the Comets head coach.

Can the Comets give Coach Brown one last big retirement gift and upset the Rebels or will it be a running clock early?

My Prediction: Boyle County 55-6.

OTHER NOTABLEGAMES:

6A: D7 #3 Henry Clay Blue Devils @ 6A: D8 #2 Madison Central Indians

3A: D8 #4 Jackson County Generals @ 3A: D7 #1 Powell County Pirates

5A: D4 #4 Atherton Rebels @ 5A: D6 #1 Madison Southern Eagles

POWER RANKINGS:

1. Scott County

2. Danville

3. Boyle County

4. LCA

5. Frederick Douglass

6. Tates Creek