Highlands 36 Boone County 12

bugatti

In the prediction thread I mentioned that I would like to see Boone's offense put together some scoring drives. They had two and also moved the ball at other times using the power running game. I am guessing FB John Mark Shutt got his first 100 yrd game of the season, ripping off a 70 or 80 yard run.

This was a hard hitting game. Several plays where Boone's defense "laid the wood." Boone played with some fire in this game, more than I've seen for several games. I think it had to do with two things, it was senior night, and it was played in the rain on a muddy field. I'm telling you there is something about playing in the mud that brings out the primal instincts in a man. Who needs turf?

I told my son before the game to have a good attitude, do his job, and give the opponent a reason to remember #XX . I think there are a few Bluebirds who will remember #XX .

I'll post a recap later.

Any comments from the Birds fans on this one?

I've been wondering if the Bird faithful have gone on strike or something? I'll be at the game next week, so maybe I can do the updates.

Any comments from the Birds fans on this one?

I've been wondering if the Bird faithful have gone on strike or something? I'll be at the game next week, so maybe I can do the updates.

I think most Birds Fans went up the road to watch to Cov Cath vs Campbell Co game last nite...Lol

Doesn't seem to be much interest, pretty sad if you ask me.

Does anyone have a scoring recap? Offensive stats?

There honestly wasn't much to say about the game. Was cold, wet and muddy - very difficult to control the ball or keep footing for either team. The kids all played hard and was impressed by the tenacity and grit of players on both teams. Lots of parents and fans there on both sides to support the kids despite the weather. Highlands would have won this one regardless but if the weather conditions had been better it would be easier for some past their prime adults to second guess coaching decisions and cast thinly veiled dispersions against coaches, kids and fans.

There honestly wasn't much to say about the game. Was cold, wet and muddy - very difficult to control the ball or keep footing for either team. The kids all played hard and was impressed by the tenacity and grit of players on both teams. Lots of parents and fans there on both sides to support the kids despite the weather. Highlands would have won this one regardless but if the weather conditions had been better it would be easier for some past their prime adults to second guess coaching decisions and cast thinly veiled dispersions against coaches, kids and fans.

Great post!

Amen!

I agree with the bolded. The weather somewhat neutralized the passing game. I remember thinking as Highland's QB dropped back to pass, surely their side is going to throw a duck one of these times like our QB has, and sure enough, a wobbler dropped into the hands of one of our linebackers.

Highlands had their share of long plays, a punt return for a TD, and some long runs, and a medium pass and long run when the Boone defender slipped and fell on the 3rd play from scrimmage. The game wasn't in doubt but Boone's offense looked more organized than in past games (not counting the difficulty some players were having hanging on to the ball) and generally like they could move the ball and perhaps score on any given drive. I hate to lose but found this game to be entertaining to the end.

Congratulations to the Highlands squad for the win. They did what they had to do and then some. Good luck as you head into the post season.

@Qryche11 @El Diablo @birds78fan

Here's my Scoring Recap and Game Summary

Highlands had a 3rd and 12 on the first offensive series. The receiver caught a 10 yrd pass and the Boone defender slipped and fell. Highland’s receiver ran 45 yards to the 1 yrd line. On third down the QB ran it in. 2-pt conversion was good.

Highlands 8-0

Boone began their next series on their 28 yrd line and commenced a drive to the Highlands 35 yrd line. On second down the QB dropped the football but no could find it. There was a pile up and players standing looking forward for the ball. Turns out it was directly behind the QB’s feet as he was standing looking at the pile. Highlands player, #32, picked up the ball and raced towards the end zone with no one between him and pay dirt. #32 had himself a 65 yrd scoop and score.

Highlands 16-0

Boone could do nothing with the ball. A couple of penalties and a QB slip down and they were punting from inside their 10. Highlands received the punt and started a drive on the Rebels 32 yrd line. The Boone D held and the Rebels took over on downs at their own 15. After three plays, Highlands forced Boone to punt from their own 17. #1 received the punt and ran it back to the Boone 16 yrd line. A penalty forced Highlands back to the 34 yrd line. After an incomplete pass, #5 took a handoff and with blockers out front made a very determined run all the way to the end zone. TD Highlands. 2-pt conversion was a piece of cake. Highlands spreads out 2 receivers wide right, center and guard, QB and RB are in the middle, everyone else is split out to the left. Boone better learn how to defend it.

Highlands 22-0 just before the end of 1st quarter.

Boone went three plays and had to punt. #1 fielded the punt beyond the 50 yrd marker and promptly dropped it. He scooped it up and avoided a diving attempt at a tackle. The field conditions did not allow the would-be tackler to break down and make the play. Punt returner went to his left and then cut right and ran down the Bluebirds sideline for the TD. The 2-pt conversion looked successful but offsetting penalties made them line it up again. This time Highlands kicked the Xtra point and it was good.

Highlands 29-0

Boone took the ball and began to advance down the field. Enroute they caught a break as the ball carrier dropped the ball but it rolled forward a couple yards where a Boone player fell on it. A little bit later on 4th and 1, the Qb took the snap intending to hand to the FB but the QB lost the handle and it went behind him and over his head. The QB hauled it in and took off running for about 15 yrds and a first down. On 3rd and 8, Jante Wingo took a pitch around the left side and went 33 yrds for the score. 2-point conversion was unsuccessful.

Highlands 29 Boone 6

After a squib kick, Highlands took over on their own 41. Highlands threw nd INT but promptly got the ball back on a fumble by Boone. The Bluebirds managed to get the ball near Boone’s 10 yrd line but turned it over on downs. Boone once again had to punt and Highlands took over on Boone’s 34 yrd line. Highlands turned to #21 and gave him the ball around the left side. He didn’t get far when he was blasted by the MLB knocking him sideways and the ball shot out of bounds. The next play 21 got a good gain up the middle. At the 10 yrd line, #21 took a pitch around the left side. Again, he was tracked down by Boone’s MLB and knocked out at the 6 yrd line. The half ended with an incomplete pass into the end zone.

Halftime Score: Highlands 29 Boone 6

I'll continue with the second half in a separate post.

Halftime Score: Highlands 29 Boone 6

Now for the second half...

Boone took the ball at their 25 yrd line after the kick-off. The FB must have come out with fresh legs because he was a big part of the drive that began there. He had runs of 5, 10, and 19 yrds where he steamrolled defenders down the field. On fourth down, the Qb rolled to his left for a pass but the conditions of the field bit him and his feet went out from under him. Highlands took over on downs at their own 26 yrd line.

On first down, #21 took the ball off tackle on the left side and ran all the way near the Boone 35. After a penalty was marked off Highlands had the ball at Boone’s 49 yard line. #5 took the handoff between the guard and tackle and raced all the way to the end zone. TD Highlands. The kick was good for the xtra point.

Highlands 36 Boone 6

Boone started at their own 15 following the kick. RB Dillon Ward started things off with 16 yrd gain. The last 8 yrds was driving a defender backwards. Boone has a good combination of power backs. They also complement one another well as linebackers. After another 7 yrd run by Ward the Rebel drive stalled and they had to punt. Highlands took over at their own 27.

Two straight runs by #21 and Highlands had a 1st down. A third straight run by #21 and this time it was for 36 yrds starting at his own 39 and ending at about Boone’s 25 yard line. It was a nifty piece of running as he got in the clear, broke a tackle and had another defender hanging on him the last 15 yards. He got the call for the 4th straight time and gained 5 yards. A fifth straight time and he lost the handle but fell on it. Next came a pitch to #5 and he lost a couple of yards. The third quarter ended with that play.

Fourth Quarter begins with Highlands up 36-6.

On 4th down, at Boone’s 25 yrd line, the Bluebirds try a trick play. The QB tosses the ball back to #5 who then tries to lob a pass to the QB who has gone 5 yrds down field. It fell short and Boone took over on downs at the 25.

A fresh RB comes in for Boone and gets about a 4 yard gain but a penalty wipes it out. He gets a second handoff and Vastine gets the 5 yards back. From the 25 the FB John Mark Shutt gets the ball on a quick hitter off the guard. A hole opens up but Highlands had 3 LBs inside the tackles. One LB takes himself out of the play as he run-blitzes through the line on the other side. The OLB is chipped by the guard and he can’t get enough on the FB to slow him down. Another LB comes up but Shutt simply runs through his attempt. A DB has the next shot but didn’t commit to the tackle and doesn’t even slow the FB down who is off to the races keeping the spacing between himself and a Bluebird in pursuit. I’ve got to give credit to the LB who had the best shot at a tackle at the point of attack. He didn’t give up and followed the play all the way down field finally catching Shutt and bringing him down at the 3 yrd line. That was a 72 yrd run for the FB who looked like he was sucking wind when he got up from a long slide into the end zone. On the next play Dillon Ward easily got in for the score. TD Boone County! There was a penalty on the first Xtra point attempt, then the QB dropped the hike on the next attempt. BTW, the FB finished with 120 yards on 8 carries.

Highlands 36 Boone 12.

Though there was over 5 minutes remaining in the game, this was all the scoring there would be so the game ended as stated above.

This game was closer than the score would indicated. Highlands scored on 3 plays that were kind of a fluke. The 3rd play from scrimmage Boone’s DB fell down and Highlands WR went all the way to the 1 yrd line. They soon scored.

Then Highlands got that long but easy scoop and score when the Boone QB lost the ball and didn’t realize it was directly behind his feet. The defender ran untouched to the end zone.

Finally, Highlands had a 50 yard punt return for a TD, not something you count on doing every game. Take those three away and the game could have been very different. How different? One can’t say. But apart from those three big plays, the two teams were even. Yes, I know, if, if, if….

Congratulations Highlands. Next time you come back to Boone County we’ll try to have better weather for you.