Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 10/22/17

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2017 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 9 Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week: it was a GREAT weather night in the commonwealth to go out and see the last completion of the District schedules! Week 9 (unreal because it seems like we just got out of 7on7s) is the critical week that defines the District seeds and determines the Playoff brackets! And that is BIG! Let’s see how it affects us below:

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 9:

1. Bowling Green 5A (7-2): Win 43-7 vs 5A South Warren

2. Mayfield 2A (8-1): Win 63-0 at 2A Webster County

3. Christian County 5A (9-0): Win 49-12 vs 4A Madisonville-North Hopkins

4. Caldwell County 3A (8-1): BYE Week

5. South Warren 4A (7-2): Loss 43-7 at 5A Bowling Green

6. Franklin Simpson 4A (6-3): Win 45-14 vs 4A Warren East

7. Glasgow 2A (7-2): Win 57-13 vs 2A Metcalfe County

8. Logan County 4A (9-0): Win 49-11 vs 4A Calloway County

9. Apollo 5A (7-2): Win 30-14 at 5A Marshall County

10. McCracken County 6A (6-4): Win 49-0 at 6A Muhlenberg County

Week 9 EJ Austin Western Kentucky Game of the Week: 5A South Warren (7-2) 7 at 5A Bowling Green (7-2) 43. And here come the Purples! With BGs early season losses and South Warren’s excellent start to the season, many including myself anticipated this game to be very close throughout. However, turnovers, penalties, and emotion can derail the blueprint of a game. The score was 7 to 7 after the 1st Quarter with South Warren denying BG a 2 score lead and marching 99 yards for a noteworthy TD (Most teams don’t go 99 yards on BG). But from there, even though South was successful moving the ball some, they simply couldn’t make the bigger plays to get it in the end zone. I equate most of that to the Bowling Green defense, who likely played better in this game than any this year and I haven’t even mentioned Beau Buchanan and the offense yet! More below Purples fans! To the South fans, you lost 1 game – it happens. You must now refocus on getting your best players as healthy as possible for the post season, as your 1st round playoff opponent is a tough, gritty Graves County team. But you still have MUCH to play for and can go deep in the playoffs! More below South fans!

Week 10 EJ Austin Western Kentucky Game of the Week: (8-1) 2A Mayfield at (8-1) 3A Caldwell County! Big Game over in the Purchase Area!!! Both these teams have played very well this year! Honestly, much better than I had anticipated. I knew Mayfield would be good, but they have been much more steady in the early going than I anticipated (is that a factor of their opponents being more down than anticipated? Not my or Mayfield’s problem!). I honestly watered down Caldwell County more than any team this preseason primarily due to the unforeseen loss of star QB Shane Burns. Well, Caldwell plugged in the next man up and kept truckin’!!! These are dangerous teams and this should be a SUPER GAME!!! Looks like a Who’s Who BGP’s pre-game event at Pagliai’s Pizza!!! Get there Early!!!

Honorable Mention: Elizabethtown at Glasgow, Franklin Simpson at Russellville, Daviess County at Apollo.

Meat & Potato’s Version Week 9 Top 10:

10) McCracken County (6A) – LW: 12 - Preseason Rank: 9 - 2017 Record 6-4; [District Record 4-0] Week 9 Results: Win 49-0 vs 6A Muhlenberg County (2-7). Welcome back to the Top 10 Mustangs and just in time! You continue your domination over 6A District 1 by crushing the worst team in the district. I think if you could have scheduled some of those harder games later in the year you would have been MUCH more successful. As hiring a new coach and losing a significant senior class from last year are significant hurdles to adapt to on the fly. I think Coach Clark and company are coming along fine Mustang Fans! Week 10: BYE Week. Rest up and heal up as you will have an All Mustangs re-do 1st round of the playoffs thanks to 6A District 2 having only 3 teams. Should be cake!

9) Apollo 5A (7-2) – LW: 9 – Preseason: Not Ranked (NR) – District Record – (3-1) - Week 9 Results: Win vs 5A Marshall County (3-6) 30-14. According to the Marshall County stats, Apollo outgained Marshall rough 350 yards to 260 yards. Think Apollo had a little hangover from the Owensboro game, plus the long bus ride, but still a solid win and move on! Week 10: vs County Rival 6A Daviess County (4-5). Should be an interesting game here. Teams are rivals in their county, but it’s the last game of the season. No district seeding is involved. Both teams want to win, but at what cost? I mean I’m sure both coaches would likely trade this win for a playoff win… Wouldn’t you??? Which team will risk more to get this win? You tell me…

8) Logan County 4A 2017 Record (9-0) – Last Week (LW): 8 – District Record: 4-0 - Week 9 Results: District Win vs 4A Calloway County (0-8) 49-11. Thanks to our good friends @Figs and @CoachAdler who reported on this win for the Cougars. It can be expected for Logan County to struggle a little out of the gate on this one after 2 gut-wrenching, dare I say program perception changing, wins. The Cougars did in fact break out in the second half and breeze to another victory, but potentially at significant cost. 3 significant contributors (WR/DB Anthony Dancer (ankle), RB/S Dylan Penick (knee), and DE Ethan Steenbergen (ankle)) all went down and are scheduled for MRI’s on Monday. I hope all 3 young men’s injuries are relatively minor and they can resume action soon! Week 10: vs 2A Todd County Central (6-3). Do you realize that this time last year this game was between 2 teams with a combined 0 and 18 record!!! MY, MY, MY what a difference a year makes!!! This season these 2 turn-around darlings are a combined 15 and 3!!! I’d challenge any 2 teams in the state to top that one on a 1 year turnaround!!! Truly amazing!!! Congrats to both these teams! Logan County comes into this one looking to secure their only undefeated regular season in their history. I’d call that especially important. And with 0 and 9 Warren Central next up in Russellville, Coach Adler has quite a bit of flexibility in how he approaches this one. But in the end, I expect the 10th and final regular season win for the Cougars! A truly remarkable and memorable season! Congratulations Cougar Nation!!!

7) Glasgow (2A) – 2017 Record 7-2 - LW: 7 - Preseason Rank: Top 20; [District Record: 3-0] Week 9: Win 57-13 vs 2A Metcalfe County (6-3). I don’t have any stats for this one, but when you win 53-13 not sure you really need them. Glasgow rolling right now, but if there was ever a “pre-playoff” game this may be it. Week 10: vs 3A Elizabethtown (8-1). The Panther are playing really well and are well-coached with Coach Mark Brown at the helm. Etown’s only loss was at 2A defending champ Christian Academy of Louisville, so they are a formidable foe for sure. Glasgow last beat Etown the last game of the 2013 season 38-0. The games since then have all been one-sided Etown wins. Can the Scotties get back on the winning side of this rivalry? You tell me…

6) Franklin Simpson (4A) – LW: 6 - Preseason Rank: 4 - 2017 Record 6-3; District Record 3-0] Week 9 Results: Win 45-14 vs 4A Warren East (5-4). This score is misleading in a lot of ways. It does not reveal the tight contest for nearly 4 quarters. It does not adequately reveal the potency of Franklins run game (you will see that later). It does not reveal the Wildcats resolve to stay the course and capitalize off turnovers when the Wildcats D (they are playing Really Well!) began to make plays! These are the kind of games that go unnoticed later but make all the difference in a long playoff run Wildcat fan! Oh… and a little birdie told me that the Top Dog in 4A went down in Ashland this week! While they may still be the top dog; there’s a chink in the armor now. Stay the course and I like your chances more this year than last!!! Week 10: at Old Rival 1A Russellville (6-3). I love reading the info of our good friend @macdon provides for this rivalry. That will likely be the only worthwhile reading on this game as I look for the Wildcats to lower the boom at Rhea Stadium!!! Running clock…

5) South Warren (5A) – LW: 4 - Preseason Rank: 10 - 2017 Record 7-2; District Record 3-1] Week 9 Results: EJ Austin Western Kentucky Game of the Week – District Buster – Loss 43-7 at 5A Bowling Green (7-2). I know this wasn’t the outcome you’d like Spartan Fans, but I will tell you I don’t think anyone goes on the road to BG and turns it over 5 times and gets a win! I couldn’t make this game and am still sick over it. I watched the replay though. Let me say, I am SUPER impressed with LB/OL Pete Cross. The young man was all over the field; did he come out of the game? If he did, it wasn’t much – great effort! RB Christian Winn was simply outstanding. He isn’t a huge guy, but he is tough, elusive and difficult to contain. JR WR/DB Clayton Bush played awfully well on both sides of the ball and I can see why WKU wants him on their team! BUT when you give up 5 turnovers to BG that is a death nail and huge momentum changers – All 5! It should also be noted that the starting Spartan Kicker could not participate in this game and therefore South was forced to use a pooch-kick strategy, which is not as effective as booting it into the back of the end zone. But you still have MUCH to play for Spartans and I’m confident your coaching staff will get you prepared for the playoff journey in front of you! Week 10: at 2A Owensboro Catholic (6-3). OCATH is not your average 2A team. But they have had their own challenges in the pre-district part of their schedule and have dominated their district as usual. This is an interesting game because it has no influence on the playoffs, but both teams want to go into the playoff on a high note. I think South Warren needs that with a worthy first round playoff opponent (Graves County) on the horizon.

4) Caldwell County (3A) – LW: 5 - Preseason Rank: Top 15 - 2017 Record 8-1; [District Record 4-0] Week 9: BYE Week. Heel Up and get ready for a TOUGH pre-playoff game next week Tiger fans! Week 10: EJ Austin Western Kentucky Game of the Week: vs Old Rival 2A Mayfield (8-1). This should be a fascinating game. If I had to pick the best offensive unit between these 2, I would pick Mayfield. If I had to pick the best defensive unit between these 2, I would pick Caldwell County. Who has the better special teams unit? You tell me… I seem to recall a few years ago, Mayfield kicked a decent yardage field goal to win this game. I think a similar type game and win is in order in Princeton on Friday night! Oh, and if you expect a seat, I’d get there early!!! Good luck Tigers!!!

3) Christian County (5A) – LW: 3 - Preseason Rank: 2 - 2017 Record 9-0; [District Record 4-0] Week 9 Results: Win 49-12 vs 4A Madisonville-North Hopkins (5-4). I don’t have a ton of info on this game with the exception of knowing County SR QB Kolbe Langhi recorded a career passing yardage record for Christian County at 8,640 yards during his stellar career. Congratulations! Also Madisonville was limited to about 250 yards (almost all on the ground) vs a tough County defense. One more Colonels!!! Week 10: at always unpredictable Paducah Tilghman 3A (4-5). Tilghman has won 3 in a row against lesser opponents and get another chance to make a statement win. But I just don’t see it, as County will be focused to accomplish one of the goals they set for themselves at the beginning of the year… and undefeated regular season! Will they get it… You tell me…

2) Mayfield (2A) – LW: 2 - Preseason Rank: 3 - 2017 Record 8-1; District Record 3-0] Week 9 Results: Win 63-0 vs 2A Webster County (1-8). 63 + 73 = 136 Biggens in the last 2 games alone – WOW!!! Thanks to our good friend @TnCatFan who reported Mayfield ran a whopping 7 offensive snaps in the First Half and was up 49-0!!! I hope Mayfield’s younger and injured players were able to take advantage of this opportunity, as that’s the only good points I can come up with a wood-shed beating shown on the scoreboard. Week 10: EJ Austin Western Kentucky Game of the Week – at 3A Caldwell County (8-1). This is a great rivalry over in the Purchase Area! The last 2 games between these 2 in Mayfield have been comfortable Mayfield wins. BUT the last 2 games between these 2 in Princeton have seen a 25-24 Mayfield win (on a FG near the final horn in 2015) and a Caldwell win 48-41 in 2013. Can the Tigers use their home field magic again to get another close win? You tell me…

1) Bowling Green (5A) – LW: 1 - Preseason Rank: 1 - 2017 Record 7-2; District Record 4-0] Week 9 Results: EJ Austin Western Kentucky Game of the Week – District Buster - Win 43-7 vs 5A South Warren (7-2). We spoke about the BG D above. Concerning the BG offense, it’s one thing to put a running clock on Grayson County and Barren County; it’s another to put the first one on South Warren! The BG offense started Hot and stayed Hot! And the young man that pulled the trigger came into his own this game. JR QB Beau Buchanan played his best game as a Purple; you’ll see him later. He hit 4 different WRs for TD passes. That is significant to me, as when you can’t focus on 1 or 2 guys that makes it really tough for opposing defenses. Another spotlight was SO Kicker Dalton Major who had an excellent night kicking and putting his first 2 touchbacks in the end zone! Huge Win Purples! Week 10: at 5A Bullitt Central (6-3). The Cougars have played well this season. They could easily be 8 and 1 losing close games to Bullitt East and North Oldham. South Oldham blew them out on the road. Word on the street is the Cougars are a running team with their QB/S Daylin Huff being the heart and soul of their team. Cougars have rushed for over 2,100 yards and passed for less than 300 on the year. Historically, one dimensional teams haven’t fared well against BG. I’m already tired for young Mr. Daylin having to run from the QB slot and chase BG WRs all over the field from his safety spot! Tough task… We’ll see ya Friday Night!!!

Next Tier 11 Thru 15 –

11. Tier:

Madisonville-North Hopkins 4A – LW: 10; Preseason: Top 15 – 2017 Record: (5-4) [District Record – 3-1] - Week 9 Results: Loss 49-12 at 5A Christian County (9-0). Didn’t expect you to win this one Maroons. Shake it off and come back strong! Week 10: vs 3A Fort Campbell (2-7). Should be a game Coach Burgett can rest his injured guys in and get ready for the playoffs!

Owensboro Catholic (2A) – LW: 11 - Preseason Rank: 5 - 2017 Record 6-3; District Record 4-0] Week 9: BYE Week. Would be a good idea to watch the BG vs South Warren tape Aces, as I’m sure there are some good nuggets of information in there to help you in this game. Week 10: vs 5A South Warren (7-2). I don’t expect you to win this game Aces, but I do expect you to be competitive. Let’s see what you got!!! Gotta ramp up now Aces!

12. Tier:

Warren East (4A) – LW: 11 - Preseason Rank: Outside Top 20 - 2017 Record 5-4; District Record 2-1] Week 9: District Buster – Loss 45-14 at 4A Franklin Simpson (6-3). Warren East played a very good game through 3 quarters leading 14-10 in the 3rd Quarter. The turnover bug then bit Warren East and that turned a tight game into a comfortable lead for Franklin. Hang in Raiders; you can still go a long way! Week 10: vs. 3A Bardstown (3-6). Bardstown really struggling. Give me the Raiders and a running clock!!!

Graves County 5A (5-4) – Last Week (LW): 13 – District Record 2-2 - Week 9: Last District Game: Win 24-17 vs 5A Owensboro (3-6). Offensive yards were nearly even with Graves holding a slight edge. I don’t have much info here, but this game determined (along with the BG vs South Warren Game) that Graves will travel to South Warren and Owensboro will travel to BG the first round of the playoffs. Both tough tasks. Week 10: vs 4A Calloway County (0-8). Get the running clock as early as possible and get your most valuable players out of there. Just my opinion!

13. Tier:

Henderson County (6A) – LW: 12 - Preseason Rank: NR - 2017 Record 4-5; [District Record 3-1] Week 9: BYE Week. Hope you enjoyed your time off Colonels! You draw an interesting assignment for Week 10: at 3-6 Owensboro. I’m honestly not sure what you are going to get on Friday Colonels. Owensboro must be down mentally after already dropping 6 games on the year and going 1 and 3 in District play. But you don’t care about that! Just prepare for the playoffs, as you will be at home Round 1 – Congratulations!!!

Allen County Scottsville (4A) LW: 14 - Preseason Rank: Top 20 - 2017 Record 6-3; [District Record 1-2] Week 9: Last District Game Win 27-0 at 4A Warren Central (0-9). Not much to see here! Another long game for the Dragons. The Patriots get on the winning side again. Week 10: vs gritty 2A Monroe County (7-2). Don’t fall asleep on this one Patriot Fans as the Falcons will come to play!

14. Tier:

Owensboro (5A) – 2017 Record 3-6 – LW: 13 - Preseason Rank: 6 - [District Record 1-3] Week 9: District Buster Loss 24-17 at 5A Graves County (5-4). Are the Red Devils in Free Fall Mode? Losers of 5 of the last 6… Not good. Week 10: A pretty good Henderson County (4-5) squad comes calling on Friday night. You NEED a good showing prior to showing up at BG Week 1! Will they get it? You tell me…

Paducah Tilghman 3A (4-5) – LW: 15 – Preseason – Top 20 - Week 9: District Game Win 42-8 at 3A Fort Campbell (2-7). Blue Tornado’s are playing well and clearly too much for Fort Campbell. Ya know the Graves County, Hopkinsville and Caldwell County games were all in reach for Tilghman. I’m playing the woulda, coulda, shoulda card, but work with me here. Week 10: vs 5A Christian County (9-0). I know Christian wants to rest some guys, but I also know they want to get the undefeated regular season, so what gives. I think Tilghman keeps it close for a half and all County in the second half. Am I wrong? You tell me…

15. Tier:

Daviess County 6A (4-5) LW: Not Ranked – District Record 2-2 - Week 9 Results: Win 53-20 vs 6A Ohio County (6-3). Welcome Back Panthers! Your offense was rollin last week. We’ll see them later. Are you ready to ramp up for the playoffs? Week 10: at 5A Apollo (7-2). I think Daviess needs this one more than Apollo. Apollo can handle Greenwood without this win, but Daviess must ramp up for the playoffs now!

Union County (3A) – LW: Not Ranked - Preseason Rank: Not Ranked - 2017 Record 7-2; [District Record 2-2] Week 9 Results: Win 44-12 vs 3A Trigg County (5-5). Welcome Back Braves! This is good team right here. They will not shock many, but they will play you tough and I expect them to do well in the playoffs (what does that mean – win their Round 1 road playoff game). Week 10: vs 2A Murray (4-5) Pretty good opponent for you Braves Fans as Murray should test you for a while, but you should step on the gas late and put it away! Go Braves!

Others Receiving Votes: Edmonson County, Monroe County, Hopkinsville, Greenwood, Russellville, Metcalfe County, Ohio County.

Week 9 Players of the Week: I do not get all the stats by the time this edition goes out, so please add to the list and thank you for it!

1) Kolbe Langhi – QB Christian County – Breaks Pro Keith Tandy’s all time Christian County Career Passing Yardage mark of 8,640 yards. Congratulations!!!

2) Beau Buchanan – QB Bowling Green – 16-21 with 336 yards (a career high) and 5 TDs to 4 different WRs vs South Warren!

3) Tre Bass – RB Franklin Simpson – 135 rush yards and 1 TD; RB Carlos McKinney 123 yards and 1 TD; and RB/DB Saul Brady 116 rush yards and 2 TDs vs Warren East.

4) Landon Newman – RB Daviess County – 22 carries for 187 yards and 4 TDs.

Joseph Cambron – QB Daviess County – 23 for 35 for 340 yards and 4 TDs vs 1 INT.

Marquel Tinsley – WR Daviess County – 6 receptions for 112 yards and 1 TD, plus 1 INT as a DB vs Ohio County.

Week 9 – Teams Trending Down - Plain and Simple …

Owensboro (5A) – Down – Plain and simple…. Owensboro hasn’t been 3 and 6 since 2004. I can’t ever remember them being a 4 seed. See ya at the El!

South Warren (5A) – Down – Plain and simple… South had an opportunity to get the first win in the series with BG and be at home for at least 2 playoff games. Now you are on your first 2 game losing streak since your inaugural 2011 season.

Russellville – Down – Plain and simple… How does a team that outgains their opponent by about 100 yards and doesn’t throw an INT and picks off their opponent twice lose the District Championship? You tell me…

Week 9 – Teams Trending Up – Plain and Simple …

Bowling Green (5A) – Up – Plain and simple… By getting the win in the greatest rivalry to never be played until now, BG secures the District Championship, 2 playoff games at home and likely sends a signal to the rest of the state to not overlook the Purples…

Franklin Simpson (4A) – Up – Plain and simple… Some may frown with the way Franklin struggled with Warren East through the 3rd Quarter this week, but that would be unwise as East is coming on! Franklin is here because I really believe they are starting to be the team many felt they would be from the start! Dangerous team on the State Level!!!

Graves County (5A) – Up – Plain and simple… This is a tough, in your face football team. They have talent and are as good as anyone at turning the game into a fight and that’s how they like to play! Dangerous team…

ALMOST THERE! These 2 teams REFUSE TO LOSE!!! Both getting into the softer end of their schedules. I’d be shocked if either lost this week to deny them a perfect regular season. Significant accomplishment! Good Luck! Team (% likely to remain undefeated all season) (biggest challenger(s) remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Christian County (97%) (Should Win Out)

Logan County (97%) (Should Win Out)

“Broke Their Maiden” – It doesn’t matter if it’s the first game of the season or near the last; to get your first win after so many Tough battles is significant for these young men who have sacrificed their time and efforts on behalf of their schools and I’d like to spot light likely the last team of the year here:

Barren County got their first win, upending Graves County on the road 26-15! Congratulations Coach Arnett, the Barren County Players and the whole Trojan Nation!

The Sullen 6: These 6 teams remain winless on the season! It is very likely that this list stays this way to end the season. I hate that as this is a sport that demands participation throughout the year. To not get 1 win during the season is REALLY Tough! Chin up guys and Best of Luck!

Team (% likely to get a win this season) (best chance at a win remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Breckinridge County (2%) (? Maybe at Hancock County)

Butler County (0%) (No Chances Left)

Calloway County (0%) (No Chances Left this season)

Caverna (0%) (No Chances Left this season)

Fulton City (0%) (No Chances Left this season)

Warren Central (0%) (No Chances Left this season)

For Fun, how many teams in the West will make it to the State Semi-Final Games?

I will kick us off:

I am going to say that a team from the West makes it to the State Semi-Final game in every class but 6A and 1A. I also think McCracken County wins their Region. Russellville "could" get to the region, but they are shaky at best.

5A - BG (homer pick)

4A - Franklin Simpson

3A - Caldwell County

2A - Mayfield

Who would you take out and replace? Would you add anyone?

Who is your Darkhorse???

You might want to add Greenwood's Jackson Adams to your 'players of the week.' Heard his name on the Sports Connection last night.

Played 147 snaps on offense and defense against Highlands Friday night.

301 rushing yards and 4 TD's

53 passing yards and 1 TD and 1 int

8 solo tackles and 2 assists

2 pass deflections.

His numbers were probably overshadowed because of the big game across town, but those are pretty impressive numbers against a solid Highlands team.

"Russellville – Down – Plain and simple… How does a team that outgains their opponent by about 100 yards and doesn’t throw an INT and picks off their opponent twice lose the District Championship? You tell me… "

Watched the game. Crit was a little better at what they did than Russellville was at what they did. Russellville had two very costly TO's inside the Crit 20 and one inside their own 20 that gave Crit a TD.

You might want to add Greenwood's Jackson Adams to your 'players of the week.' Heard his name on the Sports Connection last night.

Played 147 snaps on offense and defense against Highlands Friday night.

301 rushing yards and 4 TD's

53 passing yards and 1 TD and 1 int

8 solo tackles and 2 assists

2 pass deflections.

His numbers were probably overshadowed because of the big game across town, but those are pretty impressive numbers against a solid Highlands team.

Bernies,

You are right Jackson Adams should definitely be on this list. He is a terrific football player.

I am disappointed in the year Greenwood has had to date, but it just goes to show you that in today's game, if you are 1-dimensional it is going to be a tough road to be a winning team.

Thank you for adding to the Player of the Week List! It's appreciated!